Can oil-based inks?

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Personally, I would not trust those inks in my printer, nor the "Epson Gel Based Inks" they also sell.

Either they really are oil based, OR, because of language / translation difficulties, they have been mislabelled that way. Somehow, I think the latter makes sense.

But I could be wrong.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Others would know the chemistry better than I, but I assume that it would be possible to formulate an oil based ink for a Canon inkjet printer. You would have to match the viscosity, surface tension, bubble generating/boiling characteristics, freedom from kogation, acceptance by all grades of paper, dyes that worked with solvents, etc., etc. Even if you did all this, what would you do about the smell? Would the oil based product be flammable?

Over the past few decades there has been a drive to get away from "solvent based" inks and paints and convert to "water based" products, driven largely by environmental considerations. In fact, I am not even sure that we can buy oil based house paints in the US any more. Why would anyone want to convert from water based to oil based inks, given that the water based inks are proven technology? There WAS resistance from industry in making the solvent==>water switch because solvent based products were the proven technology and acceptable water based products didn't exist at that time. Now that acceptable (maybe even better) water based alternatives exist, the cost and safety advantages of water based products are such that it would be hard to find anyone who would want to switch back to solvent, even if they could.

So I guess that my question is: "Why?"

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'll bet you that they're actually selling a pigment based ink but for whatever reason the explanation has gone around a sort of pidgen English routine where they've said... "erm.. more permanent.. like what you put on house" or something... and out of that came "Oil?"...

Makes for interesting guesswork if nought else :D

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Since it's an Indian site - and they do have a passing knowledge of English, my guess is that the oil is soy.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think oil-based inks have better resistance to water and light. They definitely allow better transfer of the print to other materials. On the health risks I agree with Grandad, but the quantities on a desktop inkjet are really small.

Websnail -- they are probably dyes if their photo is correct.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
panos said:
I think oil-based inks have better resistance to water and light. They definitely allow better transfer of the print to other materials. On the health risks I agree with Grandad, but the quantities on a desktop inkjet are really small.

Websnail -- they are probably dyes if their photo is correct.
Yes, companies like Xaar this is sort of their bag, solvent and oil based inks. They also require exhaust ports in order to prevent employees from geting fumigated.

It should be interesting to see how these things stand the test of time. I have to admit I'd consider it if printhead life is not affected and if print life is extended.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Panda! No reference to "oil" by the original manufacturers means that the indian site is probably wrong.