Can not print with ip4500

colblip

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been refilling (successfully) the cartridges on my ip4500 for some time. Today I get an error message when I try to print - "An ink tank error has occurred. Open the printer and replace the ink tank on which the light is off." Well, the lights are off for all of my cartridges save the big black one. The only choice with this message is 'cancel printing'. I've tried pushing the Resume button for 5 seconds several times to no avail. Anyone know the way out of this problem.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
make sure all your chips on your cartridges are clean.
If this doesn't work you have to rotate each cartridge with a new one until you find the bad cartridge.

From my own experience with the ip4300, usually it meant having to throw a new cartridge in to get the printer to unlock.

(After buying a resetter I no longer have this problem unless the cartridge is truly bad.)

The reason this message appears has been a source of great anger to me, it's essentially canon's way of forcing you to pony up for a new cartridge.

Here's my theory (I own 3 ip4300s, and 1 ip4500 and an mp500)

Here's what happens, when you refill and put the cartridge in, the printer checks the level, so if it was empty and then refilled, it is able to detect the difference using the prism on the bottom.

This error seems to happen only after refilling.

The printer essentially blacklists one of the cartridges and isn't kind enough to tell you which one. From my own personal experience, once I located the "blacklisted" cartridge replaced it with a new chip (sometimes not reading full) it would unlock the printer.

Here's the kicker, the blacklisted cartridge is still technically good, I would use them in an Mp500 with no problems.

I bought a resetter and when I refill I reset all to full. The number of times I have gotten the dreaded 15 yellow blinks (unrecognized ink tanks) after buying the resetter has been 0.

Sometimes the chips get dirty or they genuinely fail, but your first stop is making sure they are clean.

I have spent countless hours researching this problem, I can't say for sure if the ip4500 reacts the same way 100% because I've had my resetter all the time i've had my ip4500, but I know that this was indeed the case with the ip4300.

colblip

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give the cleaning a try first.