Can non-OEM inkl cause printhead failure?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The several ways that Canon Service Agents will know if you have been using compatible cartridges and inks in your printer ?

The first is they can see which cartridges are fitted in the printer at that time and the obvious one is they can and will ask you if non OEM cartridges/inks have ever been used ?

The best way for them is to view the EPROM printout that can tell nearly all, but is limited to operational functions only, like how many time you ran a head clean, how many times you removed or replaced the print head, how many time you have replaced each cartridge, how many time you have powered on, etc etc.

However it can tell if anything out of the ordinary has been going on like the ink monitoring has been disabled or there were ARC chips used or if the original setup cartridges are still in the printer, basically anything that is not covered under warrantee and so requires all repairs to be paid for.

However an OEM cartridge chip that has been reset multiple times can’t be detected by these technicians except for visual inspection of the installed carts, setup carts use a chip which is coded and labelled differently which forces you to purchased new ones.

The prism on a compatible cart is exactly the same as on an OEM cart and if it wasn’t then it wouldn’t work plus ARC chips will trigger a low ink warning just like normal chips do.

Ink splatter around the purge unit is just that ink splatter OEM or otherwise and the use of a waste ink Potty eliminates proof of all ink usage, plus print heads can and do be cleaned by the owners..

So when it boils down to it apart from inconsistencies in the EPROM readout, and the usual visual inspection of the printer itself, and of course what the owner admits to the Service Agent, that’s all they have to go on, which is usually enough..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
However it [ed. EEPROM] can tell if anything out of the ordinary has been going on like the ink monitoring has been disabled or there were ARC chips used...
This is also news to me. How does it tell if ARC chips have been used?

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
I had not heard of a lack of ink level sensor monitoring before.
I have used empty ink tanks with removed sponges on iP4950 during dry printing. Each chip (OEM) was reseted. Some contacts on printhead was sealed in order to disable all nozzles. The printer allowed to print ~20 100% coverage pages (PGI Black or dye Magenta) in bordered mode (that means ~95% of entire A4 page).
Low ink warning was triggered after ~15 pages, so ink level sensor was neglected by printer. Otherwise is should report low ink warning after inserting ink tanks, cause there was no ink above prism sensor.

Look for "Error 4100" description (example):
Canon said:
When you print the content from CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM make sure that genuine Canon FINE cartridges are all installed properly and then start printing again.
It is related to so-called Premium Content.
It doesn't stop user from using non-OEM supplies like Epson does, but it disallow from printing Premium Content.

Can you provide examples of this ink tank position sensor reports?
Here is ink tank position report ("AB= ( ) )", cause ITP sensor is called "Alfa-Beta sensor" or just "AB sensor").
  • My MG6250, with ready-made compatibles (link):
    MG6200_nonoem.jpg
  • MG6250 with OEM cartridges (link):
    MG6250_oem.jpg

It is interesting about ink splatter in the diaper but is there proof that Canon has used this to deny warranty service?
No, but if the technician sees it, he immediately will know to look inside ink absorber.

Residual ink in the print head? Is Canon doing spectrographic analysis of ink residue to deny warranty repair?
Here it comes, there is no need for complex research. Just follow the simple test for the presence of gelled ink in the small hole. Most time it is due to usage dye inks in PGBK printhead, dye vs. pigment verification is easy to perform even at home, not mention laboratory.

Here in Poland were very popular Brother printers, because:
- there were no chips
- great opportunities for refilling
And there were many folks who sent the printer for warranty repairs after printhead failure.
They had to pay, because the serviceman just looked at ink absorber and he have nothing more to do. The case was clear - it was not the first set of an OEM inks, but dozens of regenerations.

Ł.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have used empty ink tanks with removed sponges on iP4950 during dry printing. Each chip (OEM) was reseted. Some contacts on printhead was sealed in order to disable all nozzles. The printer allowed to print ~20 100% coverage pages (PGI Black or dye Magenta) in bordered mode (that means ~95% of entire A4 page).
Low ink warning was triggered after ~15 pages, so ink level sensor was neglected by printer. Otherwise is should report low ink warning after inserting ink tanks, cause there was no ink above prism sensor.
Sponges removed. Tape blocking electrical contacts. You altered the cartridge and the print head. All bets are off at this point. I'm talking about normal operation whether with a reset OEM chip and cartridge or a non-OEM cartridge. Again, if one has not done something to otherwise alter normal operation I have not heard of this issue. However, there were reports years ago about alteration in ink monitoring function following someone who overrode the ink level monitoring system and then experience issues when finally using reset chipped cartridges, IIRC.

Look for "Error 4100" description (example):

It is related to so-called Premium Content.
It doesn't stop user from using non-OEM supplies like Epson does, but it disallow from printing Premium Content.
Does this occur with a reset chip or an ARC chip?

Here is ink tank position report ("AB= ( ) )", cause ITP sensor is called "Alfa-Beta sensor" or just "AB sensor").
Please describe what it is I am supposed to see here.

No, but if the technician sees it, he immediately will know to look inside ink absorber.
Are you talking about the pads under the print head when the print head is parked? Or are you talking about the waste ink absorber pads (the "diaper), situated deep inside the printer? The latter is very time consuming to get to and seems unlikely a service tech would dissemble the printer to such a state for a print head issue unless the purge system is thought to be the issue or the diaper is thought to be "filled".

Here it comes, there is no need for complex research. Just follow the simple test for the presence of gelled ink in the small hole. Most time it is due to usage dye inks in PGBK printhead, dye vs. pigment verification is easy to perform even at home, not mention laboratory.
Again you write of an unusual situation unrelated to the vast majority of users -- dye ink where pigment ink should be used. The distinction is pertinent.

Here in Poland were very popular Brother printers, because:
- there were no chips
- great opportunities for refilling
And there were many folks who sent the printer for warranty repairs after printhead failure.
They had to pay, because the serviceman just looked at ink absorber and he have nothing more to do. The case was clear - it was not the first set of an OEM inks, but dozens of regenerations.
Are you talking about Brother or Canon printers?

Again, if you are talking about the purge pads on top of which the print head parks then this is a first I've heard this. Amazing what one may speculate from tiny pad.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This is also news to me. How does it tell if ARC chips have been used?
This one is easy, when you use ARC chips the cartridge count becomes huge because every time you turn on your printer that counts up in the EPROM chip as a new set of cartridges.

The ink absorber count would be relatively low so too would be the page count when it’s compared to the amount of times the cartridges were changed.

Here is an old line from my 9500 EPROM readout which used ARC chips for a while in the Photo black and Grey carts position only…

CT (PM =021 PBK=231 MBK=016 GY=188 PC=006 C=043 Y=056 M=026 G=029 R=016

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
I wish Canon will reject this lawsuit.

If I refuel my car with leaded fuel, then who is to blame for the destruction of the catalytic converter? And is it important that the seller claimed that the fuel is unleaded?

So why Canon/HP/Epson/Brother has to pay for damages from use of compatible ink or printer use misused (long downtime, use the printer with ink level monitor off, or printing without an ink)?

But Canon clearly warns that ink monitor off, or using compatible inks, cancels the warranty, as it may lead to dry printing. And it is very good thing, that printers can remembers long downtimes and use of compatible inks, just in case for rejecting frauds from customers.

The other side of the coin is that if the lawsuit goes, the printer manufacturers may require changes in the law beneficial to them:
  • completely block the possibility of using ready made compatibles or refilling OEMs
  • the use of compatibles ink only if Canon has issued a positive opinion of them
  • introduction of a compulsory tax on all printing devices, having a cover repairs resulting from the use of inks compatibles of unknown quality
For me, the status quo is fine.
If I use counterfeiter fuel in my car, I can blame only my for damages to my car.

Ł.

I downloaded and red the consolidated calls action complaint. It doesn't mention in any part the usage of non-OEM ink.

It says that certain models of Canon printers "suffer from a uniform undisclosed defect that causes them to fail prematurely, and well before the end of their useful lives" (U052 error). They also say that "Canon had actual knowledge of the Defect in the Printers, but has failed to recall the Printers in order to cure the design defect described herein"

Would be interesting to know what @Łukasz and other printer master of this forum think about the high numbers of certain Canon models dying of MB\Printhead fault.

While attempting to save my IP4300 I scanned lot of web-sites searching for second-hand printhead (or printers). The vast maiority of printers on sale showed an MB or printhead fault. Very few were in working condition.

My feeling is that those models (IP4300, IP5300,MP600, MP610, MP800, etc. ) are too much prone to such fault

Grazer5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Ricoh Pro 7100S
I use refilled OEM Canon carts, setup and standard. Never had a problem with the low ink sensor, and I refill up to 50 a week.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
This one is easy, when you use ARC chips the cartridge count becomes huge because every time you turn on your printer that counts up in the EPROM chip as a new set of cartridges.

The ink absorber count would be relatively low so too would be the page count when it’s compared to the amount of times the cartridges were changed.
As I suspected - indirect but not direct data, ie inference.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I use refilled OEM Canon carts, setup and standard. Never had a problem with the low ink sensor, and I refill up to 50 a week.
@Grazer5 there was a problem reported while trying to use Canon CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM App, if you had reset your OEM setup carts.

However there’s no difficulty when using the normal OEM carts, so if you’re not using this Canon App then you’re not going to be effected by it and you’re good to go.

Happy Printing..:)
As I suspected - indirect but not direct data, ie inference.

Capture.PNG
:thumbsup

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
I downloaded and red the consolidated calls action complaint. It doesn't mention in any part the usage of non-OEM ink.
But one who set this thread asked in the title:
Can non-OEM inkl cause printhead failure?
And short answer is: definitely YES (not only because OEM inks also can do that :lol:)

It says that certain models of Canon printers "suffer from a uniform undisclosed defect that causes them to fail prematurely, and well before the end of their useful lives" (U052 error).
I have to agree, that Canon do not explain what it exactly is U052 error and how to prevent it (cause there are some preventions). In terms of technical science, it is not undisclosed, it is reserved for qualified technical staff.

They also say that "Canon had actual knowledge of the Defect in the Printers, but has failed to recall the Printers in order to cure the design defect described herein"
Hard to prove. Most times Error U052 is 1403 error and it is related to overheat. Overheating is related to thermal method of ejecting ink.

(...) My feeling is that those models (IP4300, IP5300,MP600, MP610, MP800, etc. ) are too much prone to such fault
And many others Pixma printers with detachable carts, cause they are:
- thermal inkjet
- very often refilled

Ł.