Can I use refilled CLI-42 cartridges to initially setup a Pro 100?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I know that this has been a questioned proposition and I'm not sure whether there is a consensus opinion. Some say to always use the brand new set of CLI-42 cartridges that come with the printer during setup. Has anyone setup a new Pro 100 with refilled cartridges?

If it's best to use the new set, can that set be stored, then used again if another new Pro 100 is being set up?
How would I store that set of slightly used cartridges? Just put the orange storage clips securely back in place and tape over the "air maze" on top?

Thanks!
Fred

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I know that this has been a questioned proposition and I'm not sure whether there is a consensus opinion. Some say to always use the brand new set of CLI-42 cartridges that come with the printer during setup. Has anyone setup a new Pro 100 with refilled cartridges?
Personally I would always advice using the setup carts that come with a printer for a couple of key reasons:
  1. You test the printer is working using all the supplies that came with it, and can instantly determine if there's a problem that shouldn't be there. The lack of new variables (eg: third party ink, compatible cartridges, refilling technique, etc...) means you can instantly see if there's a problem that needs addressing
  2. If there is a problem you have instant come back without worrying about warranty rejection because of anything you've done.
  3. The ink that goes into the printer is not going to cause problems with your refill ink as there's only a limited path between the printhead ink receivers and the nozzles. It's not like a CIS equipped system with 10ml + of ink in tubing, etc...

If it's best to use the new set, can that set be stored, then used again if another new Pro 100 is being set up?
Pretty much... Obviously you let air into the cartridges so there's something of a limitation to the continued life expectancy of the cartridges but if you just print, test, play for a few prints and then remove you should be fine.

How would I store that set of slightly used cartridges? Just put the orange storage clips securely back in place and tape over the "air maze" on top?
Aluminium tape for the air vent/maze and rubber band the clip back into position over the ink outlet port. Then place them all in a zip lock bag, suck out as much of the air and seal before storing them in a dark, cool place. That's about all really.

a2rob1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hum, I have been using the setup cartridges to refill for the past two years now and no issues...

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hum, I have been using the setup cartridges to refill for the past two years now and no issues...
Good to know! But, a major part of my question is will that set work to initialize another new (i.e. a different) Pro 100?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes, but you started and are using with the same setup cartridges, but @avolanche wants to use non-OEM carts on his initial start-up to save his original OEM carts..

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hat, I actually want to use OEM cartridges that came with a new Pro 100. So, if the chips in these have any "special set-up " data that is included with a new printer, that would be applied. I would use these OEM set-up cartridges briefly, then store them so that I could use them again to set-up a future, new Pro 100 (and sell the OEM cartridges included in the box). Then go straight to refill ink.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Fred

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hat, I actually want to use OEM cartridges that came with a new Pro 100.
The OEM setup cartridges can be used in as many printers as you wish, just use them as normal and if you purchase another Pro 100 at a later date these same cartridges can be used in that printer too, regardless if you have refilled them many times, the new printer wont know any different..

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
From the reading and searching I have done on the topic, the carts marked 'setup'
are physically identical to those sold at retail with exception to the label applied
across the top. The 'setup' label seems to be reserved exclusively for packing
with new printers at the factory.

The only thing we don't know definitively is if the chips contain different data.
I personally haven't come across any comparative review of data dumps
between chips from the differently-labeled carts, and such information
is likely fairly well-guarded by the makers of available chip resetters.

Aluminium tape for the air vent/maze and rubber band the clip back into position over the ink outlet port.
Depending on the length of intended storage time, I would probably select to use
purpose-made storage clips instead of elastic bands. This would avoid the various
deteriorations that rubber bands suffer such as drying out, getting gummy, etc.
The clips would ensure a continuous good seal at the ink outlet, whereas rubber/elastic
bands can(and do) fail with time and conditions.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
the carts marked 'setup'
are physically identical to those sold at retail with exception to the label applied
across the top.
I’m glad you brought that up, because believe it or not there is a difference in the two types of chips, Example: you can use a Canon photo online App (Can’t recall its name) with your new setup carts, but if you reset the chips then that avenue is now closed to you !

On the other hand, if you purchase and use another set of carts (Non-setup) and later reset those chips, that same Canon App is still available to you, so there is a difference in both types of chips and your printer’s EPROM also records this information.
whereas rubber/elastic
bands can(and do) fail with time and conditions.
If you choose to store your carts using elastic bands to hold the orange clip on in a Ziplock bag, then elastic bands won’t deteriorate because there’re not exposed to the outside air, but I’ve always taught the bag is unnecessary..