Can I use Brother Ink BTD60BK in DCP-T700W?

subie22b

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother T700W
Hello,

I bought a BTD60BK thinking that its the same as BT6000BK, but when I opened the bottle I saw it has a warning on using it on the T700W model. Would there be any problem if I use the BTD60BK in the DCP-T700W? I don't know why would Brother make a new ink while their coloured inks are still the same.

I'm afraid to use it because it says on the box " Incorrect usage of ink model may cause damage to the machine "

Advice please

Thank you!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Brother does not specify anywhere wether they use a pigment or a dye black ink, or even change between models as Epson was doing with some ET Ecotank models - one was using a dye black and the successor a pigment black.
I could assume that the BT D 60BK is a Dye black ink and the BT6000BK is a pigmented ink whereas the BT5000 CMY inks are all dye. Both the T700W and the T710W printers both use the same printhead configuration so I would safely assume they can print with either one of the inks.
I don't know why would Brother make a new ink while their coloured inks are still the same.
Epson does something similar - they even have different names/numbers for their inks in different sales regions around the world - it appears as if these companies try to confuse you

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I bought a BTD60BK ... has a warning on using it on the T700W model. Would there be any problem if I use the BTD60BK in the DCP-T700W?
If the manufacturer of the ink specifically states to not use it with your printer model then do not use it with your printer.

As Ink Stained Fingers wrote, one of the black inks may be Dye-based ink and the other a Pigment ink. Print heads are designed to use either Dye-based ink or Pigment ink. While there are some exceptions to the rule, you should only use ink designed for that print head.

Your printer uses 4 ink colors - Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and Black. Inkjet printers with 4 colors only are typically Dye-based inks for CYM and Pigment ink for Black. The Pigment Black is used for text and gives a better blackness, sharper resolution of text and provides some water resistance such as to highlighters. The Dye-based CYM inks are mixed to give black when printing images. Using a Pigment ink in a print head that is designed for Dye-based ink will cause clogs because of clumping of pigment particles and may result in permanent failure of the print head.

Other 4 color printers may use only Pigment Ink for all the colors. You generally would not use a Dye-based ink in pigment ink printers. Though it may not cause clogging, the dye-ink may result in poorer looking images and off-colors.

All that said, it is difficult to tell what kind of ink Brother printers like yours use. I found a Chinese web site offering aftermarket inks

"BTD60BK BT60 BK BT5000 BT5001 C CISS dye ink Refill Kit for brother DCP-T310 DCP-T510W DCP-T710W"

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32810989794.html

This appears to say that BTD60BK is a Dye-based ink.

Another Chinese web site sells their aftermarket ink for the DCP-T700W, your printer, that states on the bottles it is an all Dye-based ink for all colors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32967146738.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.f5c2ab196g1rw3

Then there is another web site selling the OEM Brother ink that explicitly states

" **Note : BTD60BK is not applicable to DCP-T300, DCP-T500W, DCP-T700W and MFC-T800W.** "

and

" **Note : BT6000BK is not applicable to DCP-T310, DCP-T510W, DCP-T710W, MFC-T810W,MFC-T910DW.**"

https://shopee.com.my/Brother-Refil...-BT5000C-BT5000M-BT5000Y-i.41430992.722931082

So what to do?

Maybe both Black inks are Dye-based as the Chinese web sites state. Maybe one of the Chinese web sites is incorrect. Maybe the Black inks are both Dye-based, or both Pigment inks, but their formulations are different enough to either cause problems with the print head or poor results aesthetically or functionally on the printed page.

Until more information is known about these inks, I would heed Brother's warning.

Please let us know what you decide and what happens.

subie22b

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother T700W
Both the T700W and the T710W printers both use the same printhead configuration so I would safely assume they can print with either one of the inks

Thank you for this information, I'm leaning toward using the BTD60BK. I will call Brother and see what they would suggest me to do.

Epson does something similar - they even have different names/numbers for their inks in different sales regions around the world - it appears as if these companies try to confuse you

I really wish they stop doing that, if the product is good then people will surely buy it.

subie22b

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother T700W
Thank you stratman for the great explanation. I learned more about inks on that one reply.:) I have more knowledge on what to ask the Brother hotline.

I will call Brother for more information about the inks and post an update on what i got.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW. Look forward to to reading your next post. :thumbsup

subie22b

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother T700W
Hello everyone,

After talking to Brother, I can't use BTD60BK because it's Dye-Based and the old ink BT6000BK is Pigment-Based. If I mixed the 2 inks, there is a probability that the printer head might get damage and I have to get it serviced. I've decided to just buy the correct ink.

Thank you stratman and Ink Stained Fingers for the guidance!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
TY for letting us know. Happy printing!