Can I switch OEM Cli-8 chips from cheap generic carts

trashguy9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My OEM Cli-8g cart is not being recognized by my Pro9000 II printer, after refilling and a reset. This is the fourth OEM cart (different colors earch time) to go bad (not recognized) in the last six months. I bought a new resetter after the first three failed and thought the old resetter was the problem, but now another chip has gone bad. Anyways its hard to find empty OEM Cli-8g & r carts and I only have the one green and red now, so I had to order another new/full OEM green cart and it will come later this week. Ok my question is, if I bought some cheap/gereric "chipped" carts of Ebay (less than $4 for two), can I transfer those chips to my now not working green cart and be able to reset them when I refill? Thought this would cover my butt in the future, if another green or red cart's chip goes bad. I have plenty of extra empties of the other six colors. I would buy the cheap carts for only the chips and not the ink as I am refilling with Precision Colors with great results! :) I am not interested in the ARC chips as a alternitive. Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The problem of the OEM chips going bad after reset are very few but you seem to be getting more than your fair share of them.
I v had several go bang as well but I must have about 90 carts in use so my average is pretty low on that count.

If you hold the cart in the resetter till you get the constant red light but only for a period of 2 to 3 seconds at most
which is usually sufficient enough time to reset and not blow the chip.

I was gifted a USB resetter just recently and it works instantly, just plug it into the front of your printer,
theres no waiting you get the red light straight away and half a second is all thats needed
to reset the chip, so now I dumped my battery resetter altogether.

Your question as to whether a 3rd party chip will reset again full if you swap them over onto your OEM carts?

The jury is out on that one, some do but most dont its a hit and miss affair but you can get lucky,
the compatible chip is usually a onetime only chip, that why the ARC chips were introduced and they may be the only alternative left..

trashguy9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a follow up. I did buy a cheap/generic green cart off Ebay and swapped its chip onto my OEM cart and it worked like I expected. So yesterday was the first time I tried filling that cart with the aftermarket chip. First off I forgot to mention that "The Hat" was kind of enough to send me a different resetter from the one I had been using, what a guy! Thanks again! I have using Hat's with no problem so far resetting other carts. So I tried resetting the cheap chip and it wouldn't reset. Just a quick blink, but no steady glow. So I wasn't to surprised, as The Hat mentioned that the jury was still out on this working. So for the heck of it I tried my old resetter that was sitting on the shelf and it reset to my surprise! So there must be some difference indeed between these resetters. Because empty OEM Cli-8 carts of red and green are so scarce, I bought a set of cheap red also, just to have on hand in case my OEM chip failed and I would be without my printer for awhile, like when my green chip failed. Just thought I tell you about my experience with those generic chips. I will post back to this thread after a few more refill to let everyone know how this chip is holding up. Regards, Larry