Can I make my Workforce 1100 GLOPpy (gloss optimizer)?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Not having much luck selling off my 1100 or the OEM ink. I remember when I could post OEM ink on Craigslist for $5 under retail and get a dozen emails fighting to get it. Anyway, I was thinking about the lower end photo printers like the 1400 and how they don't really work for photo printing on glossy papers because they lack the GLOP cartridge. I'm wondering if I can clean out the 1100 with distilled water tanks for a bit, then use it to GLOP a photo after printing it on the 1400. Anyone ever tried anything like this? In order to promote even ink usage, I could make a full page image with CMYK color bands each at 1/4 the height or width of the page.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It won't work unless you know how to modify the internal firmware to control the print head to use the ink appropriately. I don't know if it is possible because the printer's electronics is a proprietary architecture that no one other than Epson knows how to write control program for it.

I have been using a R2880 for a while with OEM inks. This printer will print on glossy photo paper without using a gloss optimizer ink. The print looks completely bronzing free and glossy. I do not print on Epson glossy photo paper. No problem whatsoever. It is a technological achievement of Epson. I am sure it is patent protected. I was told that 3rd party inks so far still fall behind a little in this regard. I was also told that it is only the black ink that has the problem causing the bronzing effect. Epson still makes the base bronzing free photo black ink. I may be out of date about this. I am new to R2880.