Can HP 15 & 78XL be refilled?

jeb101

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I purchased an HP PSC 750 at Goodwill for $10.00. Seems to work but says black cartridge needs to be replaced.

I have refilled some HP cartridges in the past but can not find a place that shows how to do so with the HP 15 or the HP 78XL.

Also, what are the pros and cons of this printer?

Tks - jb

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

Yes, these cartridges can be refilled.

HP15 is very easy to refill, search on net about refilling HP45, is the same method. I have refilled both HP15 and HP45 many many times, without any issue.

With HP78 is an entirely different story, for years I was not able to get a full functional cartridge after refill, no matter what refill method I used.

Do a search in this forum, there are two old treads about refilling HP78.

Recently I finally got it. Inspired by the way plaster and concrete are cast, I vibrated the cartridge after filling with ink and success, no more problems with air pockets.
Short description of method:
1. Place the cartridge in a holder that seals all nozzles
2. Push in the plugs on top
3. Fill each compartment with about 6-7 ml of ink with corresponding color
4. Vibrate the cartridge with a suitable device, for about a minute. I am using for this my linear motion electric shaver
Next steps over a sink/paper towels
5. Prepare a shallow recipient with warm water and improvise a support for cartridge in such manner, when cartridge is placed on it, only nozzle plate should touch the water
6. Remove cartridge from holder and place it on support in water recipient
7. Leave it for ten minutes, you should see streaks of ink flowing out
8. After ten minutes take it out and check if ink is still dripping from nozzles
9. If yes, repeat 6 to 8
10. When no more ink is dripping, dry gently with a paper towel. You should see a nice tricolor pattern. Be sure there is no water under plastic strip with electric circuits