Can anyone help me with 3rd party pigmented ink cartridges?

Bazminton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Im after a new printer, as mine is very old and the photos have all faded. I want a fast printer yet i want unfaded good photos. My printer now is the epson photo 750, and this prints good enough quality wise for me. I have seen an epson 480 produce photos good enough for me though with only half the amount of cartridges. Now, all I want surely is the fastest printer that uses 'pigmented' 3rd party inks. All the epson printers seem extremely slow and unreliable, as i have had five or six for the family, and only mine is left -even that is now driverless with XP. I would love a Canon as my nans 850i is very fast and the two weve had are reliable, but it seems to be dye-based inks only with canon. Ive spent my life searching the web so far and found conflicting information. Seems only ink-rite do pigment based 3rd party inks for an epson 950 photo which is a very cheap ideal six ink printer, but am I stuck with an epson? Advice and/or links please.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Right... if you're after pigmented printing then I'd suggest you stop considering the 6 colour requirement as that just pushes you off into the expensive spectrum of printers like the R800.

My advice, based on what you've said so far would be to look at a C86 (or even a C88/(D88 if you're in the UK)) and then purchase the refillable cart kit from MIS associates (http://www.inksupply.com/arcrefkits.cfm#c84)... These kits include all the bits you need from the injection kit, instructions, the cartridges and the chips, chip resetter, etc...

The photos are good quality compared to the older 480, the output is pigmented, and you are saving a bucket load on printing consumables.

You would have to print regularly to keep the nozzles from becoming clogged but because you're using bulk inks you'd be laughing at the expense..

Hope that gives you a good starting point :)

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Regarding pigment inkjet ink I remember reading a PHD thesis of a chemist a year or two ago. The paper was under a subject about fade resisting. So it was interesting to read. If I remember it correctly it explained the difference between dye and pigment.

Dye losts its color because of light striking on its surface kocking one or two electrons off the dye's molecule. UV light has more energy than visible light and will be more likely to knock off more easily the electrons. Pigment is somewhat different. It is formed by a lot of molecules similar to dyes. It is much larger than dye so it is not soluble to water. It will fade too when light strikes on its surface and knocks off some electrons. However, when the outer layer of a pigment fades (losts a lot of electrons) it forms a protection layer to prevent inner layers to further struck by light and losing more electrons. Under the protection layer the inner molecules no longer fades. But the faded outer layer makes the overall gamut of the pigment narrower, or less vivid in non technical term.

So my understanding is pigment based ink will not fade but will not be as vibrant as dye based ink. You can not print on glossy paper because pigment based ink will produce bronzing on glossy paper. You will have to print on matt paper mostly. Color saturation will be less than dye based print but with the advantage of fade resistance. Because of the size of pigment molecule the printer will clog more easily. The price of pigment based ink will be much more expensive too. Dye based print will be more vibrant but weaker in resisting UV and Ozone gas. Pigment based ink is waterproof provided the matt paper is not damaged by water. Dye based ink print on some microporous paper will be waterproof.

I enjoy low cost printing yet more vibrant colors from dye based printing using Canon printers. If my print fades I can always print again. Printing with pigment ink is very difficult and very expensive if cost of keeping up the printer from clogging is included. I have ssen some Epson demo prints printed with pigment ink. Very impressive indeed. But My dye based print out of ip8500 is far more vibrant and easily done without coasting an arm and a leg.

Technology advances faster than I can read so I may be wrong. Please bear with me.

Bazminton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I would love a Canon, but ive decided to go for pigment inks. Now all I need to do is decide on either the epson 950 photo or the c86/d88. Have never heard of the d88, hope its fast. Youve all give me lots to think about. I am sure the 950 is 6-colour mind, and is pigmented and cheap too. All the 6-coloured inkjets do seem to be much more expensive normally, so all I have to find out now is how much faster would the c86/d88 be. I think I am set on the 950 photo mind, especially as it possibly may be used with both dye and pigment inks after what Ive learnt from you guys. Hope I can still find one! Happy Xmas, I love u

Bazminton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just a note to say I went and bought an Epson R300 photo after all. Its everything I dreamed of so far, all-beit a bit slower than i expected at the highest setting. But so far Ive had some good surprises in that Ive printed one (nearly full) A4 photo at best setting poss. in 7mins (used to take 11) on expensive glossy durabrites, whereas at the best poss. setting for 'Heavy Matt' on the much cheaper Epson Heavy Matt paper I get better results (I have proof) in less than 4 mins. Oh, and the ink system is second to none, I have never seen a system where each cartridge is monitored seperately while printing a photo. It has to be one of the best ideas Ive ever seen, while I can safely say my inks will last me AGES on top. I say this as I have printed 3 a4 sheets of photos and also charged the ink and cleaned the heads and still the ink monitors tell me their full, only the pink shows any sign of usage JUST! All for 84. Works out I can fit 4 6x4s onto an A4 sheet and print my photos at about 10p/photo, with long lasting inks -Well-pleased (Ink-rite sell full set of inks for around 15inc and Epson 50sht Heavy Matt at 11.99).

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hum... I thought Epson R300's ink cartridges contain only dye based ink. I have used one at work. I don't think the inks for R300 are pigment inks. Epson R300 is a good printer despite it is not very fast. However, it is realy an ink
guzzler. Each time it is power cycled it runs a cleaning cycle. I have heard that after each such cleaning cycle about 5% of the ink from each cartridge is sucked into the waste ink tank. 3rd party supply for this printer is also more expensive than for Canon. But it's print quality is quite decent.

Bazminton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Oh, yes, you're right. But I have found you can buy compatible pigment inks for it. Ah well, heres the link;
www.topinks.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_ EPSON_STYLUS_R200_R300_M_RX500_600_INK_CARTRIDGES.html
But they are more expensive at 20inc. Ah well lol. Please disregard last post. Soz

BAZ