Calculating individual ink colour usage?

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Hi,
I was wondering if there was a website or program that I could upload a picture to that I will be printing and tell it what model printer or what colour channels and how many it has, and have an approximate estimation of the amount of ink usage per cartridge.
It is nothing really exact just curious to see if there are any resources to calculate something like this?
(Printer is currently the Pro-200 if that makes a difference)

Or is there a way to hand calculate this by inspecting an image on a per cartridge basis, not the overall ink usage, just a single colour?

mogbrown

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880, Epson ET-4450

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
If you're prepared to base costs on Australian currency, the information you're after is in our review: https://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/printers/canon-pixma-pro-200-a3-photo-printer/
Otherwise I'd recommend the Red Roiver Paper True Cost of Inkjet Printing report, which you can find here: https://www.redrivercatalog.com/cost-of-inkjet-printing.html
Yeah, I saw the one by Red River and it is great information, however, what I'm looking for is a way to try and estimate which colours will be used first.
I live pretty remotely in location so shipping almost always takes 2 weeks to a month sometimes. With delays and major storms in the winter, it can take even longer.

So I was hoping there was a way to know just the individual colours and how much would be used so I can stock up on the most used for that job (currently I'm doing two jobs, one with heavy photo cyan and the other heavy on black and yellows based on the ink level reporting).
That way if I have that information beforehand I know to have ordered an extra cartridge of just those two or three and just one of the rest.

I've been looking for a while now and can't seem to find too much for these printers, I think the Pro-1000 and above with Canon Accounting Software has a way to estimate like I'm looking for, but no luck without that software from what I can see.

So I've just ordered an extra two sets and will just and literally guess based on the image and pre-order those few lol

But a surprising fact from the Red River cost per page analysis is that the Pro-200 is one of the most economical per sheet using OEM ink, even the Pro-1000 has a higher cost per sheet.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If you would switch to a printer like the G550/650 tank system printer you have all the information visible about the ink status, and refill is only necessary at a much lower frequency and can be planned ahead, and you lower the printing cost significantly at the same time with OEM inks. Similar printers like the Epson ET-8550 for A3 or the XP-15000 with a chipless firmware mod + a CISS would give you a similar functionality.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...one-to-replace-the-pro-100.14262/#post-123843

Last edited:

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
If you would switch to a printer like the G550/650 tank system printer you have all the information visible about the ink status, and refill is only necessary at a much lower frequency and can be planned ahead, and you lower the printing cost significantly at the same time with OEM inks. Similar printers like the Epson ET-8550 for A3 or the XP-15000 with a chipless firmware mod + a CISS would give you a similar functionality.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...one-to-replace-the-pro-100.14262/#post-123843
I'm not too worried about lowering print costs if it sacrifices print quality or paper handling.

I also do have the XP-15000 and set it up chipless, but am refilling the individual cartridges (not an issue for me doing it that way)
I prefer the print quality from the Pro-200 over the XP-15000 as I find the lighter shaded areas are more "grainy" like on faces for portraits for example.

And paper handing is far superior on the Pro-200 which is almost seemingly perfect in loading and printing paper.

With the Pro-100 I had before it went defunct I was ordering full sets at a time and would always burn through the Greys, PM, and PC typically and others would vary, so I usually got left with alot of extra cartridges of various colours.

So I just decided to order an extra two sets and then on top of that two extra cartridges of PM, PC, and the Greys and Ill just have to see what I end up using and then stockpile accordingly.

I just wonder how hard it would be to make a website that you upload an image to and tell it your printer or inks and it outputs an estimation of ink usage overall and colour breakdown. That would be really cool to kind of have a guess of how much ink and what colours a job would use overall.
Something like this website,
http://www.coolphptools.com/color_extract#demo
It allows you to upload an image and choose the amount of colours (no controls on what colours tho which is what would be needed) and we have an estimate of ink usage per square foot for some printers from other sources such as Red River which sites a cartridge usage of .00052875 cartridges per square inch, which would be 0.0423 cartridges per 8/10 with 95% coverage (Ill be it not with perfectly equal usage of colours but this is the best sources I could find)
So if that website tool had a way to break up the image into the 8 colours of the Canon Pro-200, then it could output the most used cartridges and approximate usage of the cartridge?
It would definitely need tweaking and testing but I think it could be something that would be useful to the general printing community.
But tis a dream

But it's fine I'm just going to have to keep track of it all my own way for the files that I'm printing and the paper I am printing on, and then just adjusting what I will need to be ordering and keeping on hand.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
O.k., thanks, that explains the background of your inquiry and your current printing environment, but I must admit that I'm not that much interested in the individual ink consumption per color. That might be an option with some RIP software which can handle all your ink channels individually.

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
O.k., thanks, that explains the background of your inquiry and your current printing environment, but I must admit that I'm not that much interested in the individual ink consumption per color. That might be an option with some RIP software which can handle all your ink channels individually.
Yeah, that is the hardest thing about living in a remote location, shipping!
Like I have ordered some Red River paper and more inks and it will take over a month to arrive at where I live (from when it shipped) :(
But that's my normal.

Thanks for your help.