C6578(78) color cartridge wont stop leaking

topgun68

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Twice I tried to refill my C6578(78) color cartridge for my HP 940c inkjet printer. First time was a couple of months ago, I tried to refill the HP cartridge I bought for $35 dollars. I waited until the ink was low, then refilled it using Nu*Kote Inkjet Refill Kit, from Walmart for $12.00. I follow the manual to the letter, but the ink cartridge doesnt want to stop leaking after I refilled it. First thing I did was use the push pin to push all three vent plugs into cartridge. Then I looked at the lable on the cartridge to see which color of ink is in each vent. I notice the lable doesnt match the color for each vent. So I turn cartridge so I can look at the nozzle piece to see which color goes to each vent. I notice blue was on right side, so I inserted the blue refill needle into the right side vent hole. I never felt the needle touch any foam until until it was almost all the way in the vent hole. So it never did go thru the foam, so then I started squeezing the refill bottle very slowly while pulling it out, until I start to see the ink at the vent hole, like the manual said to do. I do notice the middle vent, for color red, it has plenty of foam in that vent hole. So i force the needle all the way thru the foam and pulled it about 1/8 inch back up, then started adding the ink. After I finish filling all 3 vents. I let it sit in tray, but then I came back 5 minutes later, there is a puddle of ink in the tray. So I then wipe the noozle off, and put it back in the tray. Came back 10 minutes later, and still had a puddle of ink in the tray. So all said and done, this was my second time of trying to refill the color ink and both times the cartridge wouldnt stop leaking. So I ended buying a ink cartridge that was already filled. I follow the maunal to the letter, cant figure out why it doesnt stop leaking. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes... I refill cartridges for a living and have always had great success with these. It sounds like you have pushed down on the needles too hard. There is a screen on the bottom, and you may have punctured it. Not only that. you may have put too much ink in the chamber(s). As a general rule, it is always better to underfill than overfill.
Get yourself a "priming" tool for this cartridge. After re-filling, attach the priming tool and s-l-o-w-l-y vacuum out 1 or 2 cc's until there is no air at the bottom in the chamber just above the printhead.
Keep practicing, and you will get better and better at this. If I can help in any other way, just let me know.

Good Luck!!

Paddy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sounds like you are overfilling. Can't believe anybody has success with these, fair play Manachau. I work for one of the biggest refilling companies in the world and even we cannot find a way around these. Lucky if 1 in 3 work.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well... I have no trouble with these at all. If you are having problems with these, then you are not getting all of the air out after re-filling.

misterinkjet81

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
overfilling=leaking we dont have problems with these cartridges either

kudos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Listen to these wise gentleman Overfill = leaking. I fill these carts through the head. How you ask? With our machine www.inkteczone.us As far as 1 in 3 failing that is depending on with the heaters in the nozzle plate have been melted. If the cartridge is good electronicly then most fills will be good. On the overfill you need to extract ink so that pooling does not occur which also causes the printhead not to print.

;) Peace

kudos

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Video is our Parent company's Inktec of Korea if you want all of the Video's go to the inktec website. www.inktec.com This is where the video originated and it is free online at there site also have pdf's if you prefer to follow step by step guides.

;) Peace

Hendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

How long is the needle you use to fill this cartridges? It should be between 3 to 3.5 inches.

This cartridge comes in 2 flavors, old style and new style:

1) Old style the sponges are longer in the cyan and yellow. The filter screen in the magenta is smaller and more puncture resistant.

2) New style the sponges are shorter in the cyan and yellow. The filter screen in the magenta is much larger and more susceptible to punctures.

The problem: New style cartridges and most DIY refill kits

Short needles may not reach the sponge and cause the upper chamber to fill instead of the sponge. On the inside of the cartridge walls for the yellow and the cyan, there are ridges that do not allow the sponge to come in contact with the wall. When you fill with a short needle the ink tens to pool on top of the sponge. Than the ink travels down the ridges on the walls of the cartridge not tuoching the sponge.

At the bottom of the yellow and cyan chambers is a very small filter screen that sticks out side ways from the inside of the cartridge. This causes the sponge to not come into full contact with the bottom of the cartridge. On the opposite side of the filter screen is what appears to be a useless 2 tier biult-up piece of plastic, the bottom of the cartridge inside is not flat. The sponge can not sit flat on the bottom of the cartridge because of the screen and the built up plastic. There is a very small gap.

When the ink travels down the indie of the cartridge it creeps under the sponge via this 2 tier piece of plastic. The ink travels accross the bottom of the cartridge and pools up under the filter screen. The filter allows the ink to travel to the ink well and out through the printhead, unaffected by the sponge.

The ink does not drip from the printhead, instead it pools on the face of the printhead and is drawn up into the magenta. What can not be drawn up into the magenta will slowly drip. The new filter screen in the magenta cartridge does an great job at maintaing contact with the sponge, and is able to wick large amounts of ink into the sponge.

Most people don't notice this untill the next day when thier magenta prints black. This is the dreaded HP cross contamination problem found with these cartridges.

If you try to wick out the ink with a paper towel it wont work, the cartridge will continue to leak, beacuse the ink is traveling down the inside wall faster and not getting enougn time to stabilize into the sponge.

The only way to solve this problem is to use long needles, and fill into the sponge. The sponge is so dense that it will regulate the ink properly. I could explain why but this post is long enough.

Thank you for your time.

Hendo

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
WHen ink is injected into the sponge from the top some air will be traped inside the sponge. It pressurizes the inside of the cartridge. It will take a lot of bleeding of ink before it will stop leaking.