Buying used IP4500

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Considering the IP4500 printer model itself is several years old and long since discontinued, it seems quite hard to buy a new one at a reasonable price.
Can a used IP4500 be trusted, especially if I intend to store it unused as a spare? If so, what should I do before I put it in storage? I'm hoping this is possible without cartridges installed.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
There's a used one in my area on craigslist for $75 right now. Hmm, have to think about that as I'm sending one of my spares with my daughter who's off to university.

It was a used one, if you can call 29 total pages printed used. It's been in my garage for just over 2-years with, Shh - don't tell anyone, the cartridges installed. Did a head cleaning and it printed the test page perfectly. Whew.

To find out how many pages its printed, print a EEPROM report page to get an idea of how much its been used:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=929

While my method of storage is probably not recommended, if you periodically turn it on and print a test page, to keep the park pads and print head moist with ink, you *should* (that's a BID should) be ok. I didn't though, call me lucky.

So can a used iP4500 be trusted, I'd say yes.

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Doesn't it get REALLY hot in AZ, especially with stuff in the garage? It definitely does in the midwest!

Alternatively, can I flush out the printhead and leave it without ink? I got instructions on how to do that from mikling after buying a refill kit from him.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
new IP4500's on amazon go from $365 - $455
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...p?ie=UTF8&qid=1313546596&sr=8-2&condition=new

build quality on the IP4500 is legendary, especially compared to the newer models. IP4500 uses the PGI5 and 4 CLI8's ink carts, fully transparent and larger capacity compared the newer ink carts.

i have a brand new IP4500 that i bought as a spare back in 03/2008, stored indoors w heat and AC. hate to get rid of it, since i know the build quality of the IP4500. my main printer is a MP830, same ink carts as IP4500. the CLI8's are also well made i have been refilling my original CLI8's for nearly 4 years, never flushed.

really not looking to sell my IP4500, would be nice to see it go to a good home.

so if interested make me an offer with or without ink carts. wish the newer ones were as well made.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
And suddenly, ghwellsjr awakens from his slumber to find his dual monitor setup with one screen showing this page, the other screen logged onto PayPal, and his itchy trigger finger poised to click accept on the transaction.

If your wife gets upset because you've bought another printer, just claim it was the Ambien you took for insomnia that made you sleep-compute.

;)

(Edited to add winking emoticon to let those unaware this is a long running gag and I kid ghwellsjr)

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Good one strat!

Yes, it does get hot here in Arizona, at least it does in the desert. My garage is like an oven in the summer. But what most people don't understand is that AZ has high country as well with forests and mountains, even snow in the winter and cool in the summer.

My other spare is a brand new unopened box Canadian version with the ability to print DVDs/CDs without the need to be cracked (just like my in service one is).

hceuterpe said:
Alternatively, can I flush out the printhead and leave it without ink? I got instructions on how to do that from mikling after buying a refill kit from him.
I'm not sure how to answer that one. I'm sure if you did a "storage" or similar Search, you'll find lot's of threads on that subject.