Buying copy 525/526 cartridges for the chips?

arcascomp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I currently have a Canon MG6150 which is getting to the end of it's OEM 525/526 cartridges. I already have a complete set of 520/521 cartridges to move the chips to and a resetter so on that basis I am good to go. I would like to get to the point where I can have a spare set of cartridges on standby but I would rather not buy a whole set of 520/521's and a complete set of 525/526's to get the clear window for refill with the correct chip.

Anyone still following what I just rambled!?!

What I am wondering is; I see that now you can buy copy cartridges cheaply that include a chip, could I buy a set of these and use the chips on a set of OEM 520/521's or will I be given dire warnings by Canon via my printer drivers?

Cheers,

Craig.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
arcascomp said:
I see that now you can buy copy cartridges cheaply that include a chip, could I buy a set of these and use the chips on a set of OEM 520/521's or will I be given dire warnings by Canon via my printer drivers?
I know that with some aftermarket earlier model cartridge chips (CLI-8, PGI-5) it was possible Inquire if the chips are resettable and can be be reset by your chip resetter if possible before purchasing.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As stratman said, be sure the third party chips are resettable with 525/526 resetter.
In my area a vendor of 525/526 resetter has a warning that the resetter may not reset all third party chips.

As an alternative you may buy ARC chips although I do not know how good they are.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As an alternative you may buy ARC chips although I do not know how good they are.
ARC chips work very well in most printers and are handy if one of your OEM chips fail suddenly
but they can be a pain in the butt if you do lots of printing.

The best way to use them is to have two sets of them and change to a fresh set of cartridges every morning
or when one of them shows full then change the lot again,
that way avoiding unnecessary cleaning and purging and I said very high maintenance (a real pain).
Theres no getting away from it OEM chips are your only man.. :thumbsup