Buying a 2nd hand or brand new canon printer

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think my ip4200 is finally dead with error code 6500 which needs replacing the logic board assembly. I know that this printer is very sturdy compared to the new printers nowadays and you can even refill its cartridges.

Now, I'm planning to buy a 2nd (or brand new) Canon printer that uses the same ink cartridges as my old one and is known to be a good buy (recommended) also. Which Canon printer should I look for? Are the MP500 and MP530 any good (they use the same print head as the ip4200)?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion if you can fine these MP models in great working shape buy them. All new Canon printers all come with cartridges way too small, not to mention more difficult to refill.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Do a service test print to determine how many pages were printed etc. To do this first get a service manual for the model you are going to buy.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
In my opinion if you can fine these MP models in great working shape buy them. All new Canon printers all come with cartridges way too small, not to mention more difficult to refill.
Yeah, I guess so.

Smile said:
Do a service test print to determine how many pages were printed etc. To do this first get a service manual for the model you are going to buy.
Oh ok. And usually how many pages is considered to be the limit of a "good buy"?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Based on my 10 years of experience in inkjet printers the page count sometimes isn't indicative of a printer's remaining life. The printer could have had several print heads through and the very last one on the printer could be very new still. But I agree the page count is a good reference point.

The thing to look is the nozzle check print. If there is any sign of missing pixels, weird pattern, banding, faded or incorrect colors that mean problems. If the nozzle check print is 100% perfect the chance is good that the printer is in good working order.