Burn In Marks In Lcd Monitor?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have a 24" HP LCD monitor w2448hc, 1920x1200 pixels which has developed what I think might be burn in marks or a stuck pixel failure. According to the menu the monitor has clocked 18,700 hours.

When I turn on the monitor, nothing is wrong, but after having used Firefox and the tabs in Firefox for half an hour, the closed tabs leave a trace in form of a lighter stripe like this; the moire pattern is a camera artefact:

DSCN0223.JPG

If I turn off the monitor and wait a couple of hours before turning it back on and start using a browser again, it is OK for half an hour, then the stripe reappears.

I have tried running this flickering pattern in full screen mode for a couple of hours, but it made no difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avj108dN_x0

I thought that the only thing to wear out in an LCD screen was the back light, but apparently not. Any ideas to a fix or should I start looking for a new monitor?

I like the HP because after having adjusted the colours using the Nokia Monitor Test Program, colours are a very good match to what I get when printing from my Pixma 5200.

If the HP monitor is going to fail soon, which other monitors would you recommend? Some LED backlit monitors have horrible bluish colours with weak reds, and no tweaking of settings can correct this. I have a laptop with this flaw. It is no good with photo work.

RagerToo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP1200laser HP 8250 Photosmart
I have a NEC LCD1912 inch I purchased from Sam's Club, at least 5-6 years ago. I can't recommend it but I haven't had any issues what-so-ever with it. Single user, non-commercial home setting. Still bright anyway.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I followed a recommendation from a systems supplier, for the Asus VS239HV 23 inch Widescreen Full HD IPS LED Monitor £143.50 from Amazon. It is probably little different from others in the price range, but it performs and has profiled to look natural and neutral. There are so many to choose from it will be hard to find a real expert advisor. There is a lot of info on websites about the various technologies employed by the various manufacturers, no doubt you have already read this.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Not sure the thread is still relevant or the monitor is still a problem for PeterBJ, but if you are still considering a new monitor and want one with good colour balance then a visit to...
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
is what i would suggest they have reviews of several monitors and an ICC section where they have created which should be pretty accurate profiles for various monitors...
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
Hopefully even if a little that helps :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the links. The monitor has now clocked 20,850 hours and hasn't failed yet. I have reduced the height of the browser window by approximately one inch or 2.5 cm to distribute the wear of the LCD panel. For now this seems to work.