Brother Printers doesn't need Pigment Inks?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I once read on this forum that an aftermarket CIS should not be used with pigment ink due to sedimentation.
You can use pigment ink in a CISS, But it’s not ideal and can lead to all sorts of issues in a short while, even when used daily, the pigment ink needs regular agitation to prevent settlement and clogs.. Hence the warning Don’t use pigment in a CISS…:hu

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
If I put an old android cellphone that I don't use it anymore attached to the plug under the CISS and setup it for regular daily vibration? could work? :D

Maybe something else could work,
a shaking toy with a timer...

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Brother printers are typical 4 color printers with CMY dye inks and a pigment black, but this does not imply that all
pigment inks just would work.
Sedimentation could be one issue but this does not just happen in the cartridges, the tubes may slowly clog up and be aware that there is a very fine wire mesh filter which tends to clog up, and this filter is not accessible for cleaning since it is very much hidden in the printhead assembly. And other physical properties of the ink - particle size - surface tension may prevent a good print - you may get more satelite droplets than with original ink.
I'm doing quite a lot of ink testing and swap inks including Canon inks but I do it all at my own risk and do it with an Epson WF2010W , the printhead of this printer is used in a wide range of home and home office printers running with dye or pigment inks, using the mentioned Canon ink may work in the longer term - or not, and you may need to do more cleaning cycles . Brother sells some tank system printers in some business areas of this world, using the bottled black ink of that ink set may be preferable. There was a Brother DCP-T300 printer, the pigment black ink is the BT-6000BK in bottles if available in your region.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I can say unlike canon, brother printer if set up to use "other photo paper" will use the CMYK + K ink.
That is why I changed the pigment black for Dye black, to be able to print photos without the bronzing effects.

sofialucas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Heidelberg Versafire CM
View attachment 10495

I found this while looking for pigment ink printers for Brother, HP, Canon, Epson, Kodak. Does this mean all Brother Printer are capable of providing the same elements that pigment ink provides using Its own Special "Brother" ink? Please help!
I don't know source you are referring. However, they must be talking about their dye sublimation printer series. Most of the brother printers are dye printers, and dye printers don't need pigment ink even if its HP, canon, or Epson.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't see where the above attachment is coming from and whether we are discussing in general the use of a pigment black in Brother printers or whether it's specific for a particular model.

I'm just looking to the Brother DCP-J1140DW, this one comes with CMY dye inks and a pigment black. Brother printheads like Epson printheads are piezo printheads, they just have one nozzle row per color and control the droplet size electonically, and all nozzles can deliver the same droplet size. This is different to Canon printers, the pigment black is running with much larger droplets - about 20pl - to allow fast printing, but such droplet size is useless for anything else than text printing so it is limited to the normal paper selection, and is even here not used for duplex printing and borderless printing. CMY colors are printed via separate nozzle rows with droplet sizes in the range of 2.5 to 5 pl including a dye photo black if available.
So yes, there are Brother printers with a pigment black and CMY dyes where you can replace the pigment black with a dye black and use a matching paper selection which prints with the black channel. This delivers very good photo prints indeed as mentioned by @Smile - (it may run a little bit slow nevertheless)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Brothers run slow but can be hacked to print unlimited lenght, like roll paper. You will need to find the right person to hack this limitation in their windows driver dll file