Brother Mfc 3100c

spaghetti

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wow what a site............
I' havve been reading a lot of post before writing this one.
I did a search for brother but nothing showsup. MFC idem, and MFC 3100C = 00

My problem : I guess have the jets clogged.

I have been cleaning and cleaning the head from the printer itself, but the only one that is working is the black only.

Two days ago was able to print in light blue, but the Magenta is about 2 weeks that doesn't works at all.

Brother service send me a brand new Magenta cartrige, but did not solve the problem.

Now also the yellow stopped.

I like the MFC because allows me mostly for faxing and mainly for scanning several pages at once which a flatbed cannot do.

Conclusion<. I don't know how to remove the printerhaed, but I guess if I poor some alcohol (not scoth) or windex or cleaning solution in the holes and I blow with a pop strow I guess I can obtain some results. Do you agree? Do you know my MFC? If I need to wash the printhead how can I remove it?

Any help is appreciated.

(don't judge my english, isn't my mother language) ::)

Thanks

Giovanni

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi... I'm from BC, too, and am in the refilling business. The problem with these Brother models is that they often do not work well with compatibles. If you are using genuine Brother cartridges, and you are still having problems, then you need a new printhead. Check and see if your printer is still under warranty.
The unfortunate part is that many Brother MFCs just do not hold up. If possible, try to pay a bit more and get an exchange for the 5100 model, or the 4200 series..they seem to work better.

spaghetti

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I was using original carthridges.
I change just one with compatible and replace with original but now the colours do not work at all.
I have been trying to soak the 3 holes with a solution suggested in the forum but they do not give any sign of life.
I'll contact brother for an upgrade, but frankly what I most is the multipages scanner and the fax.
Those are working fine and have a good OCR which associated or alternatevely I use with ABBY eFax to convert tiff in word or excel......
Thanks again
Giovanni

ustilago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Spaghetti!

I own a Brother MFC-5440 CN and have been refilling my cartridges for about 6 months now (LC-41 cartridges).

After using refills for a couple of months I noticed print quality in black was starting to degrade. So I ran a bunch of head cleans and the problem got progressively worse.
I called Brother tech support and they walked me through the "deep cleaning" procedure. They refused to repeat the procedure so that I could write it down (stating that I could render my printer inoperable if I did it wrong).
I ended up having the print head replaced under warranty.

Everything was fine for a couple of months until it started acting up again.
Print head cleanings did not improve print quality. Another call to Brother tech support (this time I wrote down the deep clean procedure :cool:), another trip to the local Brother repair shop, and it turns out that I just had low ink in my cartridge. Or so I thought. It was fine for a few days and then things started to get ugly again.

So I had a little chat with the our tech support (I work for a refilling franchise). They informed me that Brother's print heads are weak and everybody has trouble with them eventually. They suggested that I fill a cartridge half and half with our print head cleaning solution and our refill ink and then print out several pages of solid black. So I did. And it worked! My print head has gone from ~75% clogged to squeaky clean.