Broken pins ip4500

Andrew

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, I've scored an otherwise new iP4500. The person who gave it to me bought it cheap at the markets only to discover the pins that contact the black cartridge chip were bent/broken. Buyer beware etc. I was wondering about how to fix it. Whoever gets it will be using ink refills. So is there any way to permanently bypass the chip - or alternatively, I guess the chip could be hardwired in (and turn off ink monitoring). Does anyone know how to remove the cartridge holder in a straighfoward manner?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions there... but one thing to bear in mind... you may get yourself fixed up and then discover that the chip throws out an error that requires it to be reset.

I've just had to use a redsetter to get my iP4500 working again so hardwiring a chip in may not solve your problems in the long run.

Andrew

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well the cartridges themselves work fine in another printer...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Andrew said:
Well the cartridges themselves work fine in another printer...
Sorry, you probably haven't read about this issue elsewhere..

In some instances the printers are refusing to work once ALL the chips have been disabled using the reset-"hold for 5 seconds" routine. If you hard wire all your chips into the carriage unit you won't be able to reset them hence the warning.

No guarantee it'll happen to you but just a fore-warning, just in case.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Andrew, you can hardwire the chip through a socket. It will be some hard work but it should work. The issue Websnail is referring to has not been a common problem to many. I believe it is still an individual case with a unknow cause. If you hardwire through an external socket you can easily swap the chip if you need to.

By the way, yesterday I ran into a situation that my PGI5 showed that it was empty and it would not let me print. It gave me only two choices: Cancel Printing or Retry. But the Retry choice kept on going back to the same place that gave the same two choices. I shut down the printer and powered it back up again. The printer then told me that it could not recognize the PGI5 cart. I unplugged the cart then replaced it back in. The printer resumed to print at that point. Today It finally entered the phase to press the resume button for 5 seconds. Now it has no more ink level indication and it prints with no complaints.

So give it a try if you have the time to experiment. I am considering to experiment too. I wish I could hardwire all the chips through a socket or connector so that I could use carts without chips.