Bricked Stylus Pro 9900

LAV8ORG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
from epson 9900 to canon selph
I found myself with a 9900 that needed a new printhead and a printhead that looked very close to the same. So, a few minor physical modifications later I had it installed, crossed my fingers, pressed the power button, and... nothing but coil whine, not even a blinking light. Well that clearly didn't work. Fall back, reinstall the original printhead, press the power button and... expletives! I've bricked the printer!

Sooo.... any tips on how to go about debricking this machine? Guesses for the fault type, software or hardware? Knowledge of secret reset buttons? Suggested uses for a very large brick?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't think there is much support possible, it is not clear what those physical modifications are , whether there are connection problems with the flat cables , no error code etc. You may try to find a service manual and check what impact your actions around the printhead could have.

LAV8ORG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
from epson 9900 to canon selph
You're right, I wandered deep into unknown territory. I suspect only a handful of Epson engineers would have a clear idea of what has happened. Barely any modification was required, just removing a few mm of sheet metal from the carriage to widen the printhead opening, same mounting pattern otherwise. I've tested the ribbon cables for continuity. Neither the service manual nor the field guide are of help (unsurprisingly).
At best I can presume that there's either physical damage to some electronics from the printhead pinout not being the same despite the same number of pins in the same arrangement, there's a faulty memory state (buffer overflow from mismatched data types), or there's a programmed lockout to maintain absolute control over which printhead goes in what machine.