BRAND NEW CANON MP980 PRINTS SCANS WITH PINK CAST--please help

pward

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for all the info on printing B&W. I will use those settings for the photos that are truly B&W. The photos I have been scanning to use in my art work are in fact sepia, with gradations of browns and so on, that I'd like to replicate. That is why I scan them in color. When i print the scans on the photo paper they come out decidedly lighter, but acceptable--the color tones match the original, they are just lighter. But when I print the scans on plain paper, they come out with a red cast.

I'm not following why a scan printing fine on photo paper might have a problem with the scanner setting when it comes to the different paper.... but I have hope all this will become clear eventually

Re the gray paper I need to scan so you can check it, are you saying I just get gray cardstock? If the printer has been determined to be fine, is there a gray color sample I can actually print from the net and scan (not that easy to get to an art store soon)

thanks to everyone, many times over

PWard

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
pward said:
When i print the scans on the photo paper they come out decidedly lighter, but acceptable--the color tones match the original, they are just lighter. But when I print the scans on plain paper, they come out with a red cast.
This says that the printer and scanner are both OK - the scanner and printer are calibrated to get accurate colors on photo paper, not on plain paper. To improve the colors on plain paper you will need a custom profile for that paper. Note that on thin paper the color can be very much influenced by what is under the paper when you look at it. For example, if it is laying on a purple surface, some of the purple will show through. This is one of the reasons why photo paper is so thick (and expensive) - it has lots of TiO2 and thickness to block transmitted light and provide a bright, white surface to get better colors.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There have been several threads on these forums where people have complained about the color of their printouts and another factor is the ambient light under which the printouts are observed. Take them outside in the sunlight and they look one way, view them indoors under fluorescent, they appear a second way, view them under incandescent, they appear a third way, etc, etc, etc.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
ambient light spectrum will definitely cause various color casts especially on B&W prints using color inks.