Blocked nozzles

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Also when finished DO NOT PUT THE HEADS OUT TO DRY OUT. Pat dry and then reinstall immediately.
😱

Are you selling print heads now?

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
The results of your current nozzle check look like an electrical failure and not clogs as you may suspect
Use a waterpik with glass cleaner like Windex or anything else. Soak first then use. Repeat if necessary. A revolution in stubborn clogs.
Thanks for the replies. Before investing in a Waterpik (which might cost more than a replacement print head), I'd like to know if I'd be "flogging a dead horse". How does one tell from the patterns in a nozzle check whether the problem is a blockage or an electrical fault?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Often the burned parts aren’t the nozzles but internal chips that control the output of a group of nozzles. In that case, the missing parts follow a regular pattern i.e. the upper half totally blank and the lower OK or maybe alternative vertical blank stripes etc. Usually at least 25% of the nozzles are blank. It’s easier to see that it in the pigment black grid where each line corresponds to a single nozzle. Not so evident on the solid color bands. Of course, individual nozzles may be damaged as well and sometimes isn’t easy to discern one kind of failure from the other.

In your case I wouldn’t say it's a typical internal chip damage, there’s no obvious pattern, at least in the black pigment. Hard to say for the cyan. If I had to bet (but only five cents..:rolleyes: ) my money would be on stubborn cloggs, although repeated unsuccessful cleanings might lead to burn some nozzles that were previously only clogged. Not a very cheerful scenario, sorry.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
How does one tell from the patterns in a nozzle check whether the problem is a blockage or an electrical fault?
Clog nozzles are usually random that move around and are not continues straight lines or missing segments that are always static.
Forget about the Waterpik, unless you want to waste more money, the test sheets told all, because your nozzle check didn’t improve therefore the most likely cause is an electrical failure, you can try dance on the head of a pin but that won’t bring back the damaged nozzles.. Sorry..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are both wrong. Many others and myself have experience with this now and would have concluded the same, However the nozzles are fed by banking arrangements which can sometimes fool you, The only sure way is to try it and determine its effectiveness. Some will already have a waterpik at home and it is actually quite a good piece of equipment and is one the last steps towards dental hygiene.
This is where people get fooled. Using the principles of what the waterpik is doing, what else can you use?
It's April 3rd not the 1st.
Try using a waterpistol and "steal" one from the kids. Oh! I forgot maybe waterpistols are now outlawed because it is a male centric toy. If not they soon will be if the progressives get their way. So get one while you can. The waterpistol does not generate as much force. But if you get improvement of some sort, you know the direction. 2 Waterpiks can be purchased in Canada for $80 CAD. That's Approx 60 USD for TWO. I don't think you can purchase a new printhead for the same.
Bye.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Unfortunately, as far as Waterpiks are concerned, I live in the UK where they are rare and consequently rather pricey.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I already have a syringe and tubes. I also have some Windex Original (which arrived today!). Is it worth trying to soak the nozzles in Windex and maybe "injecting"some through the inlets?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The issue is not a "blockage" but a film that needs to be scrubbed off. Pushing liquid through will work to some degree but not if the film is thoroughly encrusted. For that some level of scrubbing action/pressure is required. Wonder why a garden hose and a pressure washer differs in their ability to clean?