Blocked nozzles

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
Hi. As you can see from the attached nozzle check, the Cyan and PGBK on my ip8750 are partially blocked. I use compatible carts and inks from Octoinkjet.

I've tried:
  1. Canon (software) cleaning
  2. Soaking the print head overnight in the Pharmacist's solution (3% glycol, 20% isopropyl, 77% distilled water)
  3. A brand new Cyan cart
but with no discernible improvement.

Is there a "next step" I can try, please?

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_0001.jpg
    IMG_20200402_0001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 365

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
  1. Canon (software) cleaning
  2. Soaking the print head overnight in the Pharmacist's solution (3% glycol, 20% isopropyl, 77% distilled water)
  3. A brand new Cyan cart
After using the usual ways to unclog the print head and getting no improvements, I would print 6 of this test sheet (Below) and then a nozzle check, if your nozzle print does not improve considerably then you’ll have no alternative but to purchase a new print head.

The results of your current nozzle check look like an electrical failure and not clogs as you may suspect, either way the test prints will show this up with the latest nozzle print..

Cartridge Test..jpg

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
After using the usual ways to unclog the print head and getting no improvements, I would print 6 of this test sheet (Below) and then a nozzle check, if your nozzle print does not improve considerably then you’ll have no alternative but to purchase a new print head.

The results of your current nozzle check look like an electrical failure and not clogs as you may suspect, either way the test prints will show this up with the latest nozzle print.
Thanks, The Hat. I've tried as you suggested and the nozzle check was worse! Your diagnosis is looking highly likely so another print head is on order. Hey hum.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Both. Last process is always from the top. This will help push any air inside the nozzles out.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Also when finished DO NOT PUT THE HEADS OUT TO DRY OUT. Pat dry and then reinstall immediately. The liquid inside the printhead will help move ink into the nozzle very efficiently. If you get a non recognition, then take a can of compressed air and dry out behind the contact plate.

You are essentially pressure washing the nozzles directly. This will work provided the nozzles are not already destroyed. You can inspect the nozzle with a USB microscope to see if there are any broken or burnt out segments.

Not guaranteed to fix all printheads obviously.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
... If you get a non recognition, then take a can of compressed air and dry out behind the contact plate.

Indeed the only place that counts.
I pass a paper strip and then shortly the hairdryer, no need to dry the whole printhead.