black wont work on r300 with CFS

simba40

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi, I have an Epson r300 with a CFS fitted, has worked fine for a few months already filled once, but now the black has stopped and the clear tube from the refill tank is empty i have tried holding the tanks higher than the printer to get the ink flowing but all i get is a mass of black leaking out of the cartridge all over the inside of the printer :( but the clear tune does fill but after several prints the ink starts to disapear back into the refill tube, i have no problems with any other colour. I did not get any instruction when i bought the printer as the CFS was already fitted ( bought new ). Has any body had a similar problem or does any body have any ideas as to what could be causing this. I have also tried using SSC utility to try and purge the black but even that doesnt work. Any Help greatly appreciated.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
simba40 said:
the clear tune does fill but after several prints the ink starts to disapear back into the refill tube, i have no problems with any other colour.
You have an air leak somewhere in the system that is resulting in air replacing the ink used.. The symptoms you describe are a classic for that issue.

Things to check:
- Your cartridge can maintain a good seal over the ink post (the bit that accepts the ink into the printhead)
- The tubing is fitting snuggly to all your fittings (at the reservoir and the cartridge end) without anything like flashing (waste plastic, etc..) creating a leak.
- The cartridge or the tubing itself doesn't have a leak/split/etc..

If the cartridge isn't getting a good seal then you can try covering the ink port on the cartridge very tightly with some electricians tape to seal it and then punching a very small hole in the centre. This will allow the ink post to push through but hopefully provide a better seal.

Anything else is likely to be a poor kit and you need to get a replacement kit from the retailer you bought from.