black-only printing for Epson CX4600 (refillable cartridges?)

rasantel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got an Epson CX4600 from a friend, but the original color cartridges (T04XX) are out of ink.
The only thing I really want is to print in black. However there seems to be no way to bypass the driver, which stops you from printing until you install new color cartridges (even when I select the "black only" option in the printer settings).
Do you know what would be the cheapest way to get the printer working for just black printing? From what I've read around, it seems that, once the originals are out of ink, they are useless, so drilling and refilling them wouldn't work.
If the only option is to buy new color cartridges, which brands or stores would you recommend? (I can't tell from photos in online stores such as ink4ever whether there is a hole for refilling or if their chips are resettable -- sure, if I avoid color printing, I don't need to solve that problem, but then if I invest in color cartridges, I might as well decide to print in color too, and then I would need to refill those color cartridges...)

Thanks in advance for your advice

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For about $10 any where you can by a reset tool and reset the chip,

rasantel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
All right, thanks for the answers.
But if I reset the original color cartridges, they are still empty. So I also need to refill them. However, I've read that original Epson cartridges have a foam or something that renders the cartridges unusable, even by refilling and resetting, am I right?

So, it seems that compatible color cartridges are what I need, but how do I know if they are refillable? Internet stores don't show a refilling hole in the pictures. I might end buying cartridges that do not have a refill hole, or can't be easily drilled or reset. Do you recommend a particular brand of compatible cartridges?