Black ink smudges on Photos

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When Printing Photographs (any size) I usually get a black ink mark appearing at the edge of the photo, It's not normally a problem as it's confined to the very edge of the paper and appears nowhere else on the photo.
I Have tried all the usual software maintenance programs such as deep roller cleaning etc but this has had no effect.
It does not occur if I am using ordinary paper.
I Cannot understand why it should be at the (usually bottom edge of the photo paper) and only extend about a quarter of an inch or so, it's like the photo paper due to it's thickness is catching something as it first starts going through the rollers but why just appear in the left hand corner only ?
I Have tried the thinnest photo paper available but this makes no difference ?
Also why does it occur on Photo paper only and not on ordinary paper, even when printing colour on ordinary paper.

Yesterday I changed the print Head so took the opportunity to clean as much as I could before using it along with ensuring no ink was leaking out of the carts but the problem remains.

Is there anything else I can do without resorting to stripping the printer down, a path I am reluctant to take as the problem is minor and to my knowledge there is nowhere I can get a maintenance Manual for the Canon MP610.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
duncan22
When Printing Photographs (any size) I usually get a black ink mark appearing at the edge of the photo,
There is one way that I know of and that is to go to Custom Settings and tick the Prevent paper abrasion box.
Try it and see if that cures your photo printing problem.:).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990