Black and white printing

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Harry Briel, I am no art critic but to be honest I wouldn’t change a thing.
Well done harry, it was worth waiting on.. :celebrate

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
After studying the wealth of advises about how to start learning to print in B&W I invested quite some time in using color images, converting and printing.
It is with some hesitance that I attach to this a copy of a B&W image I made from our daughter, hoping to read your critique and advice to how improve on my B&W work.
Thank you in advance for your comments!
Harry

A very nice conversion and control of tones. The only critique I have and this is nothing serious, there appears to be some data missing in the upper 3/4 highlights as seen by the saw tooth pattern in the histogram. This may be due to the white vignette you have applied.

If all your conversions are performed like this one, you have nothing to worry about

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 21.30.53.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@harry

A lovely image. The only thing for me was I could not see her eyes. I am sure your fellow photographers here can post something on that, if it is even of import at all. It is just my thought!

Thanks for posting and do again in the future.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
After studying the wealth of advises about how to start learning to print in B&W I invested quite some time in using color images, converting and printing.
It is with some hesitance that I attach to this a copy of a B&W image I made from our daughter, hoping to read your critique and advice to how improve on my B&W work.
Thank you in advance for your comments!
Harry
Harry - was this originally a digital image or a scanned color negative or slide? Lovely picture!

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
@fotofreek
The B&W is based on a much larger digital image of my daughter when she was ill.
I took a small part of this image (Sony RX1) which still resulted in an image with sufficient resolution.
Sadly enough this lovely girl got cancer of the liver and passed away in the beginning of late June.
I have a lot of images of her but this one is my favorite!
Harry

Attachments

• Mechelen-1000686.jpg
    Mechelen-1000686.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 487

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am deeply saddened to hear of your loss Harry, and I am sure I can speak for all of our members here also, you have our greatest sympathy it’s not good when our kids go before us it’s just not fair I reckon.

Treasure all the photos of your Daughter and print the ones you like the best regularly..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@fotofreek
The B&W is based on a much larger digital image of my daughter when she was ill.
I took a small part of this image (Sony RX1) which still resulted in an image with sufficient resolution.
Sadly enough this lovely girl got cancer of the liver and passed away in the beginning of late June.
Harry

So sorry to hear of your loss Harry.

A lovely picture of a beautiful girl.

No parent should have to bury their children.

Roy

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Very sorry for your loss, Harry. I lost my mother this April. Bless them both and you and your family. Till we're together again.

Truly a delightful picture of your daughter and grandchild. Such joy reflected. Magnificent!

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@fotofreek
Harry

Harry that is so sad. I am glad that you got these images to remenber her by and the crop you made will make a beautiful portrait.
You made a grand picture....well done.
Andrew

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
A beautiful picture for a remembrance of your daughter! The cropping was perfect and the B/W print is a wonderful enhancement. You caught her looking directly into the camera, and this view accentuates the sense of connection between the photographer and subject. With her sweet, unforced smile she belies the medical issues she is facing. The close crop of the face and conversion to B/W takes away the distraction of the whole scene and of color, and it brings to the viewer an intimate sense of the person.

As a stranger, when I first looked at her picture, I immediately knew I liked her. With the click of a camera shutter you truly brought her lovely persona to us and to anyone else who views this picture.