Better dye inks for Epson L1800

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you still thinking the 106 series the best, or the 114 better? I'm just planning to buy an L1800, so would be great to know which ink to fill in.
So a pigment ink printer is not an option ?

I tested the 114 vs. the 106 ink and others last year, the 106 inks were an increment better in some cases than the 114 inks, and they are about 20% cheaper in Germany so I just use those. But again - you get wider variations from different papers.

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G570, EPSON L800/L3150

I tested the 114 vs. the 106 ink and others last year, the 106 inks were an increment better in some cases than the 114 inks, and they are about 20% cheaper in Germany so I just use those. But again - you get wider variations from different papers.
Based on the MSDS I would suspect the 114 actually the same ink as 106, besides the gray ink.

vanix

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L1800

I use Hahnemühle Inkjet Art papers like German etching or also from the same company just as white product, White Velvet and Photo White. The result was almost identical. This ink loves that kind of paper. The pigment ink is also an option, but I make photo-based graphics and need as wide gamut as possible. In addition, I'm experimenting a lot, would be great to keep the price of the ecotank inks. Do you have any idea?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you have any idea?
Not really - I just know that gamuts with pigment inks can be similarly large as with dye inks - but possibly with different paper/ink combinations, the 'best' paper for glossy dye prints may not deliver the widest gamut with pigment inks - you need to test and measure. And there is another element sometimes overlooked - which ink/paper combination delivers the best/darkest black level since a good black is directly increasing the constrast perception. Since pigment inks come both with a glossy and matte ink version so there is an advantage for such a specific black ink.

Last edited:

vanix

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L1800
Not really - I just know that gamuts with pigment inks can be similarly large as with dye inks - but possibly with different paper/ink combinations, the 'best' paper for glossy dye prints may not deliver the widest gamut with pigment inks - you need to test and measure. And there is another element sometimes overlooked - which ink/paper combination delivers the best/darkest black level since a good black is directly increasing the constrast perception. Since pigment inks come both with a glossy and matte ink version there is an advantage for such a specific black ink.
The Hahnemühle matt inkjet art papers on my old L800 are stunning! Blackest black I ever seen, and extra vivid colors also. That's why I try to keep the dye-ink. Never seen anything like this. :)