Best Way To Store Used Print Head & Cartridges

ehuesman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I purchased a new print head while trying to diagnose the problem with my MP620. I installed the new print head but the problem persisted and I ended up determining (through the help of those on this forum) that the problem was the purge system. I have been looking for a used MP780 in good condition but so far have only found ones that have problems. I couldn't be without a printer any longer so today I went to Costco and bought the MX870. I figure I'll keep looking for the MP780 and return the MX870 if I find a good one or maybe keep it for a back-up.

Anyways, while setting up the MX870 I went ahead and used the new print head that came in the box. I initially pulled the "almost new" one out of the MP620 but saw that it had a lot of ink around the bottom contacts, and besides, it had been sitting in my dismantled MP620 (unsuccessful attempt at fixing purge system) without any cartridges installed so I didn't want to risk messing up the brand new printer. Now that I have the MX870 set up though, I want to try and keep the print heads from the MP620 to eventually use in the new printer. I assume that new print heads are sealed in foil for a reason, so is it even possible to clean and store the used ones?

Also, in regards to cleaning the print heads, while initially trying to clean the MP620's original one (before buying the replacement) I unscrewed the two screws from the bottom. When I went to put it back together, I noticed that there was actually some "play" in the positioning so I was unsure if it was even recommended to unscrew them in the first place. Should I just clean the print head as good as possible while keeping those in place?

And lastly, I want to keep my old OEM cartridges. My intentions were to drain any ink using the syringe (and the existing German refill holes) and then using the capillary action method that ghwellsjr has posted about. I would then fill with distilled water (or maybe a cleaning solution with the alcohol and glycerine added) and drain again by blowing through the vent hole to force the water through the sponge and the outlet and the. Then repeat as necessary. I've never seen on here whether anyone thinks that is sufficient. If it is believed to be sufficient, I would then just store them and probably repeat that procedure one more time (to wet the sponge) just before doing any refill to put them to use.

Any thoughts or advice?

Also, FWIW, the MX870 is still coming with the 220/221 cartridges.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I did a search on store print head and found this thread among others.

As long as your cartridge have ink in them, you can store them for a very long time simply by sealing the outlet port with vinyl tape (electrician's tape) or using the orange caps that originally sealed the outlet port (use rubber bands to secure them). Tape the refill hole too but do not seal the air vent hole on the top of the cartridge.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Why not tape the vent as well? OEM cartridges all came with the vent sealed. What is your reason not to tape the vent?