Best way to create ICC profiles for new or unknown paper ?

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
Sorry, I never measured the actual differences. In practice, a proper printer - ink - paper combination is much more important. If a printer is not properly linearized for a set of inks + paper, you'll get nearly incorrectable color errors.

With non-Epson papers (or papers not present in the printer driver), you'll need to experiment. It can very well be that the settings for Epson Premium glossy give better results with that specific matte paper.
yep i will use the suggested trick by Ink stained Fingers, to use a sheet of 100 patches printed with several Epson paper like media type (Premium Glossy, Matte, Semigloss) and if i have enough lucky on the same A4 sheet, then compare the profiles to see which one have the darkest black, when i found it i will redo the profile with more patches select that media type

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
to see which one have the darkest black
and which one has the widest gamut - you sometimes see that gamuts are at the widest at different colors and luminance levels, and Gamutvision gives you a total volumetric number. I typically see that the black level is slightly darker and the widest gamut slightly smaller when I select matte paper vs. premium Glossy - both with quality normal. But there can be some surprises with special papers - FineArt - or the cheap cast coated . You know what you get when you run such test, and you can decide.
If you want to get the most out of an ink/paper combination you may use - or test - the PrintFab driver which let you define a max ink limit by color and a total ink limit which can be important for some papers of which the coating does not take all ink and creates ink puddles during printing with the standard driver settings.