Best new printer of the makes/models available now?

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,
I haven't shopped for "new" printers for some time.
I could take quite a while to shop and find out later that all that time was wasted when I discover there's some catch, like it can't be refilled.

Of the printer makes and models available "new" now, what is considered the best for color printing and easy self refilling (they haven't tried to stop you from refilling cartridges), and a company that's going to produce drivers for some time to come?

1/ Best cheepo one.
2/ Best good one.

Is inkjet still the best most cost effective, or are there newer methods that are better/less cost?

Also, if Inkjet is still the best, how much more advanced are the new printers from say 6 years ago? What's better about them? Anything better for us people that refill them?

Thanks for your help.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I use and refill my ip4600, the only thing with it is when you refill it you have to go through a procedure to let it print again after refilling. It goes pretty much goes through a warning that it can't read the "level" of the cartridge and that refilling voids your warranty and by refilling you'll cause the sun to collapse in on itself and such. And it also disables ink monitoring, not too big a deal all you need to do is periodically check ink levels. I like the print quality and the fact that it only uses 5 carts vs the 6 carts with photo cyan and photo magenta, the fifth cart being a larger pigment black for water resistant document prints. Photo quality is excellent and rivals that of the big box photo labs.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It looks like Canon have done away with printers that use their BCI-6 cartridges.
I looked at the Canon product line on their website. It looks like they use CLI carts. Do they have a chip on them?

I was going to add a question - do any of the printer maker's printers clog less than others. I read, and customers even warn me in shops saying "Canon heads clog up".