Best inks for Canon Pixma Pro 10S

ioprappas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-10S
Dear friends,
I' ve just bought a Canon Pixma Pro 10S printer and it is time now to buy new inks for refilling the PGI-72 cartridge set.
I am considering choosing one of the following pigment inks:
---www.octoink.co.uk (SET of 10 x 125ml: 153,17 euros)
---www.octopus-office.de (SET of 10 x 100ml: 237,95 euros)
---Inktec.com (SET of 10 x 100ml: 80,00 euros)
Have you any experience on the above-mentioned inks for Canon Pixma Pro 10S?
Which is your advise or experience? Inktec inks is a good solution for refilling?
I intend to make icm-color profile specifically for my ink/paper combination.
Thank you in advance!!!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
This has been discussed lately in detail.

Owning this printer myself I would say:
- octopus-office.de is too expensive for 3th party ink, from my experience with the preceding model PRO-9500 it is not worth the price
- no experience but Inktec seems too cheap to be good
- I have the octoink.co.uk set, IMO price/performance the best in Europe
(in US go for Precision Colors without doubt - I have the major colors + CO - but shipping overseas is expensive)

For most work, in particular on satin/matte, octoink.co.uk gives a result sufficiently close to OEM regarding the price (I make custom profiles but the colors are close enough without too).

As the provider advises himself, I would replace the PBK by OEM for deeper black and best scratch resistance on glossy paper.
Second candidate (to replace with OEM) is CO for 100% shiny results on glossy (octo CO is OK for satin and luster).
Third the Red but octo is quite good also.
Take care to flush the Magenta cart very carefully, there has been an issue (check with supplier). For all other colors you can refill the OEM carts as they are.

Sources for OEM ink:
- Octoinkjet.co.uk: sells PBK and R OEM in small quantities
- PGI-29 (PRO-1): colours are the same (PGI-72GY = PGI-29DGY !)
- PFI-1000 (PRO-1000): Red and CO seem to be the same too (larger volumes PFI-1100,1300,1700)
Not cheap, but you can find these carts online for much less than the official price (ex 123ink).

This is a great printer, and very easy to refill, enjoy !

Last edited:

ioprappas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-10S
This has been discussed lately in detail.

Owning this printer myself I would say:
- octopus-office.be is too expensive for 3th party ink, from my experience with the preceding model PRO-9500 it is not worth the price
- I have the octoink.co.uk set, IMO price/performance the best in Europe.

For most work, in particular on satin/matte, this set gives a result sufficiently close to OEM regarding the price (I make custom profiles).

As the provider advises himself, I would replace the PBK by OEM for deeper black and best scratch resistance on glossy paper.
Second candidate (to replace with OEM) is CO when you print on glossy (octo is OK for satin and luster).
Third the Red but octo is quite good also.
Take care to flush the Magenta cart very carefully, there has been an issue (check with supplier).

Sources for OEM ink:
- Octoinkjet.co.uk: sells PBK and R OEM in small quantities
- PGI-29 (PRO-1): colours are the same
- PFI-1000 (PRO-1000): Red and CO seem to be the same too (larger volumes PFI-1100,1300,1700)

This is a great printer, and very easy to refill, enjoy !
Thank you for the detailed information!!!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I do have experience with InkTec, and I wouldn't discount it on the basis of price. I have used InkTec dye ink, and I tested four brands of dye ink for light fading. It's good ink -- as good as any third-party ink I tested. As far as I know, they put a good bit of engineering into it. (Magenta was a weak point, but all third-party ink has weak points.)

I don't have any information on InkTec pigment ink, but I would say it's definitely worth a try.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I believe @Artur5 uses Inktec pigment ink in the Maxify.
The specifications differ - Maxify ink is much cheaper - but maybe it can give an indication, in particular concerning gloss difference.
For €80 it is worth a try in the PRO-10.

I use octopus-office.de pigment in the Maxify, and photos on glossy paper were very decent.

PS: I have inks from at least 5 different sources for the PRO-10, I stop testing for now.
My focus is on quality and availability, not on the lowest cost.
I understand the interest in continental Europe providers.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Yes, I’ve been using Inktec pigment on my Maxify for one year with no issues. There’s an occasional magenta contamination in the yellow stripes of the nozzle checks after refilling but I’m quite sure it’s nothing to do with the ink but a ‘feature’ of Maxify cartridges. Other users here using different inks in their Maxifys have reported similar peculiarities.

That said, I wouldn’t swear for Inktec Pro10 inks based on my good experience with their Maxify products.
For instance, before Inktec I tried another pigment inks for the Maxify. It was from the same German manufacturer which supplied me during years with color dye and black pigment inks for Canon Pixmas (BCI-6, CLI-8, PGI-5BK) . That ink was very cheap and free of problems. No clogs, starving etc. The fade resistance of the dyes was mediocre, but that was to be expected.
Instead, the pigment ink for Maxify of the same German vendor, in top of being more expensive than Inktec or Octopus, is totally unusable, black and cyan specially. Not a single day without clogs. I stopped using that stuff after a couple of weeks of angry frustration. Luckily I found on Ebay a European supplier of Inktec for Maxify, with good prices and reasonable shipping costs.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Instead, the pigment ink for Maxify of the same German vendor, in top of being more expensive than Inktec or Octopus, is totally unusable, black and cyan specially. Not a single day without clogs.
May be like wrong pigment particle size, too dense a concentration of pigment in the solution, or both.

Link to your Maxify printer European supplier?