Best Epson Photo printers that Don't USE PIGMENT ink?

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ok, i am finding out that using pigment black ink in certain canon printers (ip3000), tend to clog after time...well....using cheap third party. soooo....i am looking for a printer that uses dye only so i can continue to run cheap inks and not worry about them getting clogged.

i am considering a canon....but am wondeing if there is a epson out there just as good and also can get tird party inks cheap or refill?

basically a 4 color system preferably... CMYK all dye...no special black pigement cart like canon 3bc-3...but more like the canon bci-6 (dye).

if only 6colors are available ie. CMYKcm, then that is fine..but preferably lowest runnign cost possible...i.e. CMYK.

the durabrite epson inks are pigment inks correct? i tried one before...small color gamut....looked dull in comparison to canon dye inks.

don't want to have to purchase special media to use pigemnt inks also....so does epson have dye only printers?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Epson 'R" and "RX" series of printers uses six dye-based inks in the printers...you might want to look at those printers using a CIS system.

If you want to stick with Canon, go for an ip6000, which uses 6 easily re-fillable BCI-6 inks.
Let us know which one you choose..

Good luck!!

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have never seen any inkjet printer with CMYK ink only using dye based black ink. May be there are but I have not seen one. If you want all dye based ink you have to get one with CMYKcm as you said. Well, you can fill your BCI-3ebk cartridge with dye based ink. You will print text like using dye based black ink. You will not get a clog in black. Even if you do you probably can clear the clog easily.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
thanx guys...and thanx hp for the idea of refilling using dye black ink.... i may get a 6000D...but it has the following specs:

256 nozzles x 6 carts

the ip3000 I have has:
320 for black
"512" for Cyan and Magenta
256 for yellow

so dont want to downgrade in speed.

sooo....may look at the 6600D with $30 rebate:
512 x 6

which would seem twice as fast since it has double the nozzles per print pass (depending on quality setting obviously). Only catch, is the new ChromaLife chipped carts...so hopefully a new systme will come out soon for that dilema. This printer doesnot use the pigment black either.

i am guessing epsons have even less nozzles from there specs? so slower on pass by pass basis?

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Digital its the BCI-3BK Pigment based ink that will block up Pixma Print Heads
Unless you are one hundred percent sure of the Quality of your supplier when refilling the BCI3s ,use an original and only third party or refills for your Dye Based carts that never ever seem to cause a problem....