Best brand for home office printer?

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
websnail said:
Can I just jump in briefly to note that a pretty experienced industry contact of mine got one of each of the HP/Canon models and did a side by side compare and couldn't find much of a difference at all.

Given that HP already get it's chip technology for some laser products from Canon it seems that HP have at bare minimum borrowed from a few of Canons ideas if not outright licenses or purchased some aspects from them.

Proof is going to be VERY hard to come by because they're going to want to be seen to be different but the common sense aspect does lean heavily in that direction.

Oh and as to point 4.. HP's printheads are getting considerably less reliable especially if you look at the pigment black in the HP88.. My experience of them has been appalling and indicates that the heads were never designed for the job/ink they now support... Yes, including OEM.. When a 30 printhead keeps clogging/banding at 10% of the rated output you have to wonder if they really did the testing properly.

Anyhoo... I'm with Panos and my industry contact... someone did a lot of plagerism somewhere..
Look, I'm not going to say it's not a fact that HP borrowed some ideas from Canon. I just don't know if it is a fact. The cartridge design is rather suspicious and in at least some countries the use of a prism is protected by patent.

As far as who owns the technology? You'd have to sift through the patents.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6178009/description.html
This looks like the patent for multi-blacks (Canon Kabushiki Kaisha)

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5245365/fulltext.html
Patent for an inkjet with "replaceable printing system cartridge" (Compaq Computer Corporation 1993)

I'm too lazy to sort through this at the moment but if the printhead holder, the ink tanks, and the photolithography process of making the printhead are patented by Canon, well HP clearly borrowed them.

I do agree that some of the printheads for the HP businessjets were not so spiffy, even on OEM ink. the 2000 series IIRC was a damn good runner, though I don't remember which printhead it took.