Berkley Jensen Gloss Paper from BJs

dparadowski

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Has anybody used the Berkley Jensen Photo Glossy 10mil papger from Bj's? I used to the the Kirkland stuff from costco, but the people that used to get it for me I no long see very often. I am looking for a comparable paper at a similar price to the Kirkland stuff, any other suggestions?

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
dparadowski said:
Has anybody used the Berkley Jensen Photo Glossy 10mil papger from Bj's? I used to the the Kirkland stuff from costco, but the people that used to get it for me I no long see very often. I am looking for a comparable paper at a similar price to the Kirkland stuff, any other suggestions?
The paper works pretty good, I just had a problem with one 4x6 package, the papers were defective (some weird lines on the paper) but I never bought them again, only the 8.5x11. The paper works good in pigmented and dye inks. You can get the Kirkland paper on ebay I think is better than Berkley Jensen.

4x6 Paper
http://cgi.ebay.com/600-DIGITAL-KIR...0?hash=item1e4c1ebda9&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

8.5x11 Paper
http://cgi.ebay.com/300-DIGITAL-KIR...ash=item5d237eb575&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I find that the Kirkland has a compressed black gray range regardless of the printer I use. This I think is designed in to give the same effect as Kodacolor 400 making pictures have higher perceived contrast as well as a little more saturated look. For most consumers this will produce a more impressive picture, to the discerning eye, it is seen as a negative.

On the other hand, I have been hoarding some dollar store paper that turns out to be more neutral and producing better colors than the Kirkland stuff at a lower cost. The downside is that the paper itself is light and does not have as good a feel. But in albums, it is fine.

If you are in Canada, visit a Dollarama store and check out the OASIS "Top Gloss" in a blue package. Do not get the other variants as they are not that good. The Top Gloss is a gem and is shockingly good for a dollar store item. 20 sheets of 4x6 for a dollar and profiles out with a very high accuracy. One of the best I've seen actually.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I agree with 'mikling' re the Dollarama paper.
The also carry 'Likon' paper, which gives dismal results in my Canon Ip6000

The 'Oasis' 4x6 is 230gm/m2;the Likon is 225/m2.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There are many variants of the Likon paper. At first, there was the swellable type which gave nice results but like all swellables, took forever to dry.
Since then there are two variants of the Likon. Both are subpar with really muted colors. Avoid.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Detail from same pic printed on Likon and Oasis, dollar store, photo paper - Canon ip6000

157dgt2.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Likon you picked up is the swellable. It does not take well to high speed printing and ink pooling is the result as your output shows.. When used on an Epson, with the high speed printing turned off, it becomes usable but still a paper to avoid. If it is not the swellable then there is still another variant.

BTW, jackson did you get some of that Oasis stuff when it forst appeared and they sold 20 LETTER sized sheets for a dollar!! I picked up a pack but by the time I realized what I had it was sold out! Too bad I only discovered it too late!

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I never purchased the Oasis letter size - because of the Likon experience.
I note that the colour of the packaging on the 'Oasis' is different from previously.
The logo on the back of the paper, "Professional Color Paper", is identical on both Likon and Oasis - so it's a roll of the dice what you get for a dollar.

Both brands appear mediocre in an hp930 - the Likon especially.
The Oasis is better in the Canon ip 6000 on the 'Glossy Photo Paper' as opposed to 'Other Photo paper' setting.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well I've bought a lot of the Oasis as this has bascially replaced the Kirkland when used for album purposes. The Oasis is also not suitable for Epson pigment ink, but why one would waste pigment ink on Oasis paper???? I just did it for curiosity. Just remember to check for Top Gloss and do not use the silk nor the plastic coated variant. The Kirland has a tendency towards magenta and Oasis gives a yellower warm tone. With custom profiles these both are dialed out but the shadow compression on the Kirkland remains.

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
Just walked in to Dollarama today. They only had the Likon stuff (and it's no longer a dollar! now 1.25$)
Has anyone ever seen this in Quebec?
thanks