Be Careful...Very Careful of Windows 10 Creator's Edition Update

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Make sure you do a full backup before you allow this update. This can be a dangerous one. I ended up with a Black Screen of nowhere and after trying all the recommended solutions....nothing. Had to use my backup to recover using external boot media. If there was no backup, then a reinstall would ensue but it might fail again in the reinstall.

Microsoft appears to have had this problem since April and it looks like it has not been fixed as yet. It does not happen to everyone. On another PC, it happended but a reboot cured it. On the second PC, this was not the case.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Oh well, yes, thanks for the advise, I even have problems with the regular updates, it locks up now and then and it can take several reboots to get through, installed printers disappear and some other funny effects. It's working at the end but never a smooth exercise.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
A friend of mine cant even get the update, he has MBR on his drive, apparently has to be GPT, and he cant convert it without moving or loosing everything, he are not happy...heh

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Depending on the version of Win10 you have, you may or may not be able to stop the update. For the time being I have gone into control panel and forced on only manual updates. I will hold tight for the time being by forcing the delay.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the ability to control/postpone updates depends on the version you are running - Home vs. Pro. I just went through such an update - the new Creator's version - on a tablet, that took about 4 hours in total, I left it 'running' over night, you start thinking after quite some time that the system is already stalled , but no - let it run another 2 hours and do another restart and check whether more updates are available, and again. I'm running on NTFS drives, that didn't give a problem.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
The install of the creative update went smooth here, I dont like MS forcing updates on me though, I prefer to choose what I want....
Linux will be installed soon I think, Ill just use windows for printing and games...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A friend of mine cant even get the update, he has MBR on his drive, apparently has to be GPT, and he cant convert it without moving or loosing everything, he are not happy...heh
You can convert from MBR to GPT without losing or moving data***. It only takes a few seconds, supposedly. The tool is called MBR2GPT.exe.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

The video in the link makes the process look painless and fast.

1) Make sure that your device supports UEFI before attempting to convert the disk.
2) Must have no more than 3 Primary Partitions since the tool creates a single Primary Partition. A limitation of MBR is only 4 Primary Partitions allowed. If you have 4 then you will need to back up the data, delete the files, then remove that 4th Primary Partition.
3) Read the section "Disk Validation" in the link above for more caveats.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
You can convert from MBR to GPT without losing or moving data***. It only takes a few seconds, supposedly. The tool is called MBR2GPT.exe.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

The video in the link makes the process look painless and fast.

1) Make sure that your device supports UEFI before attempting to convert the disk.
2) Must have no more than 3 Primary Partitions since the tool creates a single Primary Partition. A limitation of MBR is only 4 Primary Partitions allowed. If you have 4 then you will need to back up the data, delete the files, then remove that 4th Primary Partition.
3) Read the section "Disk Validation" in the link above for more caveats.

Just shared this with my buddy, he had a few colorful metaphors to call me, and M$, of course he already lost everything....heh

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just shared this with my buddy, he had a few colorful metaphors to call me, and M$, of course he already lost everything....heh
Boy, does that SUCK! How did he lose everything?

My brother said he began being pushed the Creator Update a couple weeks ago but did not do it. Turns out he has MBR partition system, so, I guess he couldn't update to it anyway. Or would it have automatically converted MBR to GPT???

My computer had a Windows 10 update on May 10th that took a substantial time to install. There were 3 components to the update, the major one being this, and the other two being the usual software malicious tool and an Adobe security update. I am still at Windows 10 version 1607. Never saw anything about Creators Update. The Creators Update will display version 170X (I forget what the "X" number is). I still have MBR as my partition system.