BCI 6 OEM ink into CLI 8 tanks??

Rixx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Here's the problem....I have had (4) Canon I 9900's for years. I now have 50-60 new Canon ink tank refills left, and my last 9900 printer is dying. I took advantage of the 'loyalty' program when offered on 1 of my 9900's when it died a year or so ago and got the Pro 9000 then.

My question is...can I syringe the ink out of the BCI 6 tanks and inject it into the CLI 8 tanks? Pros and cons? I have never refilled any prior. (fear of clogging the printhead w/off brand ink.) What's my best best?

E bay....I won't get 1/2 of what I paid :(

When I talked with Canon again today...they offered me a PRO 100 for 399.00....LOL Later on I looked on Craigslist and found one for 180.00 never opened, with a 50 pk of Canon Semi Gloss 13x19 paper incl. I offered 150, and he took it. :)

THANKS!!

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Depends... is the BCI-6 ink compatible with CLI-8? I know the carts look similar, but a quick check on Octoinkjet shows that the inks for a i9900/i9950 are not listed as similar to or compatible with the inks for the Pro 9000. However, if you check the "Other Details" tab, both have "mpn: WJ797" listed. Best bet would be to drop them a line and ask to be sure.

This is assuming you are talking about OEM inks or similar refill kits. I would not mix inks from compatibles of a different company with inks from another company unless you are 100% sure they have the same supplier, and even then, I'd rather risk losing the ink than losing a printhead.

Also, how old are the inks on the BCI tanks? Might be a good idea to start with "fresh inks" for your CLIs.

I just got a second-hand Pro 9000 as well, check out my thread for some really great tips and links to other threads. Good luck!

Oh, and good score on the Pro 100! At least the carts are still see-through but I wonder if the resetter works with the CLI-42 carts?

BTW, welcome!

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
The ink in the BCI-6 tanks is not the same as in the CLI-8 tanks. The newer ink is lighter than the older ink. The BCI-6 ink can be used, but photos will come out darker. You can adjust that by the color sliders in the printer driver. For the best results you should have a profile made.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Lucas28 wrote:

The 6 and 8 ink tanks are generally the same, so maybe you can find a way to attach the chip to the 6 tanks and place them directly in your new printer.
The BCI-6 cartridges are larger than the CLI-8 cartridges, so this is not possible, but a CLI-8 cartridge can be used in a BCI-6 printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I use the same ink colours on my 5 dye ink A4/ A3 printers, the photos all look the same so Im happy, one ink set fits all..
I do however have a newer model iP7250 which I got OCP inks courtesy of OctoInkjet free just to try them out..:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
I do however have a newer model iP7250 which I got OCP inks courtesy of OctoInkjet free just to try them out..:)
Correction... You got Sudhaus inks for the iP7250, not the ones from OCP... Not yet least ways.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail said:
The Hat said:
Correction... You got Sudhaus inks for the iP7250, not the ones from OCP... Not yet least ways.
Ops sorry I must have got carried away in all the excitement.
O good more Freebies, Sudhaus OCP who cares when therere all free.. :weee
Now I can print out my list for free, Please Santa send me a new printer.. :celebrate

Rixx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Lucas28 said:
The ink in the BCI-6 tanks is not the same as in the CLI-8 tanks. The newer ink is lighter than the older ink. The BCI-6 ink can be used, but photos will come out darker. You can adjust that by the color sliders in the printer driver. For the best results you should have a profile made.
where would I find the printer driver adjustments? Especially the sliders?

I'm still talking with Canon....trying to resolve an issue I found while inspecting the problem.. The board won't let me post photos since I'm new.

w ww.pbase.com/rixx/image/152399383

this is a Canon BCI 6 tank that I suspect is causing-caused my yellow nozzle to clog up.....I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a good nozzle test pattern, removed the ink tanks and noticed a whiteish contaminate clogging up the ink tank.

I sent some photos in to Canon Techs to look at...I'm going to have to bring the tanks up to Phx (125 miles 1 way) to the closet auth Canon repair center. Since the one here in Tucson closed down.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990