BCI-3e - BCI-6 - BCI8 Yellow universal ink?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I've been told that yellow ink is universal and the same in all these cartridges, don't know if canon OEM ink is different but they are all refilled with the same ink. The person who told me uses OCP ink to refill cartridges in a local refill shop.

Is that true?

Another refill center told me that BCI-3e ($65 1 Liter) is better and it costs 2 times more than BCI-6 - BCI8 ink ($32 1 Liter).
The ink is InkTec.

Now who’s is telling the truth?

I need ink a client for pixma 6700D that uses BCI-8 cartridges. Better gamut and compatibility (no clogging) is all I'm concerned about.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think you mean CLI-8, not BCI-8. I never heard of a BCI-8.

I don't think Inktec has any different ink for the chipped (CLI-8 & PGI-5) and unchipped (BCI-6 & BCI-3e) Canon cartridges.

Canon did make some improvements in at least some of the inks when they went from the unchipped to the chipped cartridges. One of the improvements in the pigment black ink when they went from the BCI-3e to the PGI-5 was to make it non-smear when a highlighter pen is used on the printed material. I know that Inktec did not make a similar improvement. If they had, I would use the new ink in my BCI-3e cartridges. The reason this ink costs more is because of the pigment in the ink. This is also the reason a lot of bulk ink suppliers dilute their BCI-3e ink with dye black ink which results in it smearing on the printed page when it gets wet. You would not want to put a black ink designed for a BCI-6 or CLI-8 cartridges in a BCI-3e cartridge because it is a dye black ink and you never want to put pigment ink designed for the BCI-3e in BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges--that will definitely clog your print head.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
I think you mean CLI-8, not BCI-8. I never heard of a BCI-8.

I don't think Inktec has any different ink for the chipped (CLI-8 & PGI-5) and unchipped (BCI-6 & BCI-3e) Canon cartridges.

Canon did make some improvements in at least some of the inks when they went from the unchipped to the chipped cartridges. One of the improvements in the pigment black ink when they went from the BCI-3e to the PGI-5 was to make it non-smear when a highlighter pen is used on the printed material. I know that Inktec did not make a similar improvement. If they had, I would use the new ink in my BCI-3e cartridges. The reason this ink costs more is because of the pigment in the ink. This is also the reason a lot of bulk ink suppliers dilute their BCI-3e ink with dye black ink which results in it smearing on the printed page when it gets wet. You would not want to put a black ink designed for a BCI-6 or CLI-8 cartridges in a BCI-3e cartridge because it is a dye black ink and you never want to put pigment ink designed for the BCI-3e in BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges--that will definitely clog your print head.
Yes I did mean CLI-8, I was thinking that BCI-3e C/M/Y PM PC ink is dye ink not pigment? and that Canon BCI-3eBK is pigment? Am I wrong?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Russia seems to have nice prices 24$ for any 1 liter inktec ink bottle, and 27$ for pigment black. So my local shop either don't know the prices or they sell overpriced ink.

If someone know is there gamut nozzle wise differences between inktec inks please comment on this

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Inktec is of superb quality. Otherwise go for Formulabs, Hobbicolors, Image Specalists ink. Take care not to put pigment ink into a BCI-6/CLI-8 black cartridge. Putting dye ink into a BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge should be fine in most cases.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
pharmacist said:
Inktec is of superb quality. Otherwise go for Formulabs, Hobbicolors, Image Specalists ink. Take care not to put pigment ink into a BCI-6/CLI-8 black cartridge. Putting dye ink into a BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge should be fine in most cases.
Thanks, I looked at inktec site and as I said so no difference in ink formulation (in official documents), so I ordered:

Yellow Dye C908-01LY (1 litter bottle).

Dye ink in BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk or PG-40 will result in working setup but ink will smear if black sripe is printed along yellow for example. This is because too much ink is layed out. Can be tweaked in drivers or color profile.