BC-03 cartridge leaking

jiffypop

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just refilled my BC-03 cartridge. I've done this millions of times before, but now it is leaking from the printhead, which has never happened before. Why is this happening?!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This always happens on the millionth refill. Kidding aside, it is usually caused by not having the fill hole properly sealed. When you refill you will notice that ink drips out of the cart whent the fill hole is left open and the ink outlet port is not sealed. That is actually a good sign as you know that the cart is not blocked with dried ink and it will probably feed OK when installed in the printer. For someone like you who has extensive experience refilling I don't need to also add that you need to get a complete seal of the fill hole, let the cart drip from the ink outlet port until it totally stops dripping, blot the outlet port on a piece of paper toweling on a flat surface so as not to blot the outlet port filter, install and print.

jiffypop

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response! All is well now :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
For future reference, I've noticed that some cartridges are more sensitive to overfilling than others. For some odd reason I seem to have more problems with magenta leaking than any other color. I'm so sensitive about this now that I tend to 'underfill' the magenta cart because I'd rather have too little than too much.

99% of the time leaks are due to an improper seal on a refilled cartridge... then there is the other 1% that I think is due to overfilling and other odd anomalies.