BASICS of understanding Canon Carts and Long Term Storage

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Ink cartridges need a vent so that ink can flow downward for the print head to print.
The vent at the top needs to be as small as possible to keep ink from drying up.
A serpentine (a non engineering term but OK) is one huge step to achieve better prevention of ink drying.
HP ink cartridges all have the serpentine (I hate this term, it is very not HP) on everyone of its ink cartridges.
Ink drying starts with water content vaporizing. The vapor would have escaped into air quickly if there were no serpentine.
The serpentine is a long tiny tunnel. When the vapor enters it it condenses back into liquid (water) again. It blocks the tunnel.
The condensation process slows down vapor from escaping thus keeps the ink from drying up quickly.
Don't store cartridges with the seal opened for too long. The serpentine only slows ink drying.

I learned a lot from this board before, long before some sales people started to show up on board here.
I will not hesitate to offer my 2 cents always. Sales people will probably hate me for speaking out. Can't help it.
If I am wrong forgive me. I will relearn from mistakes.

I don't think anybody should have to apologize for offering a valid personal opinion as long as it is reasonable and respectfully presented.

If it is wrong others can tell you why with reasons, preferably logic, and references or links to verifiable sources.

Gaining knowledge is an ongoing process. I am an old man. A lot (NOT ALL) of what I learned 50 years ago in college is no longer even relevant to the current world. Have to keep learning, can't stand still.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Has anyone ever asked the experts, why Canon designed their cartridge with so many prongs protruding down from the top of their cartridge, never mind the serpentine path, from my observations everyone has dismissed them completely...
It certainly isn’t in Mikling 5-point plan...
Capture.PNG

Explanations and theory’s here please, my, my, this should get interesting.... :fl

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
To prevent the sponge from sealing the air inlet/outlet (serpentine?) at the top of the cartridge?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Apetitphoto said
How about to keep the sponge in the proper position?

I agree about that. I have had problems with after market cartridges that lost the contact between the outlet sponge and the print head ink inlet due to upwards shifting of the sponge.

The "bubbles" are air reservoirs that are part of the vent labyrinth system that serves the purpose of storing air to minimise air exchange with the outside and so minimise evaporation from the cartridge. I think @mikling explained this long time ago.