basic color issue

macinyart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been using a Canon S820 with 3rd party inks for some time and have not had any problems until the last three days. I bought an S820D on eBay and put it into the system, XP pro, usb connection. The S820D printed very dark prints even with Canon OEM ink cartridges, the previous owner vows it was printing just great, and I tend to believe him. So I put the S820 back into the system, downloaded the new printer driver from Canon and started printing really green photos. I have not been able to find instructions in the manuals for correcting this problem and am feeling inadequate. I guess I need data on how to change the color output for these printers. At first I thought it was just the S820D malfunctioning, but after I put my S820 back into action and it was acting green, I knew I was in over my head. When I first installed the S820 it was seamless and it started printing just fine right out of the box. Any help would be appreciated. I follow directions quite well. Thanks. Jack

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Since the problem is with multiple printers and inks, you can rule out hardware. Two possibilities come to mind. The first is the software you use for printing. What program(s) are being used? And, does the problem occur with more than one program. The other thought is your printer driver. Did you completely uninstall the original driver prior installing the s820D and/or the downloaded driver. From your description, a corrupted driver installation seems most probable.

macinyart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I wondered too about the driver. I used the Canon site automatic driver download and install. During this process I saw a screen that said that it was uninstalling the old driver. I assumed it was a complete uninstall. I also wondered if there was a conflict between the two drivers for the S820D and the S820 althought this seems unlikely to me. The problem occurs with Photoshop Elements and with the File>Print utility built into Windows. What color profile is associated with the S820? At this time mine is:CNBJPRN2. This problem did not show up until I installed the driver from the disk for the S820D and found that the new (to me) S820D was printing very dark, really dark with the image just visible. So then I put the S820 ( the original printer that was working just great) and now it is printing Green. Thanks for your response. I hope you can help me work this out. I am going to uninstall the S820D driver this morning. Jack

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I don't know if Photoshop Elements supports ICC profiles, but if it does, then you most likely have a problem with either double profiling or a corrupted profile in Elements. Try printing the same photos using a different application, i.e. Easy Photo Print that comes with the printer or an application that doesn't support ICC profiles, such as MS Word or Publisher or even just printing from the preview screen under Windows Explorer.