bad idea to buy & store used printer?

havieri23

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i bought a used ip6000d from a friend. i have one right now and wanted a backup. is it bad to keep it stored with the ink tank in there?

RWP

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
You should be OK as long as the printer is not exposed to extreme temperatures.
I had never thought about a print head freezing and cracking until recently.
That's WILD! Most OEM inks contain ethlene glycol and I assumed this was soley used as an antifreeze. But in looking at the box labels of some of my Canon carts I see a few of the colors lacking that chemical...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
RWP,

Some inks use glycerol or propylene glycol (same action) as substitute and is this not used as an antifreeze but to prevent bleeding of the ink droplet on paper and to modify the optimal viscosity (to ensure the droplets stay the same shape when fired onto the paper) and as a humectans (to prevent drying out to fast inside the cartridge). Just give it a look on the list of ingredients.

havieri23

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i was more worried about the ink that's already in there drying up, and clogging. i read the links but there seems to be conflicting answers. would this be an issue? what would be the best approach.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
When I installed my new MX850 two weeks ago, I noticed there is a light blue liquid at the printhead and shipping printhead holder. It may be a good idea to leave some distilled water in the nozzles before storing the printhead in a sealed container. This creates the same condition when the printheads leave the factory.

Use Ron350's method to flush out the residue ink from the printhead and don't try to get all the water out of the nozzles. Put the printhead in a sealed container.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3965

havieri23

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i think i'm in a bad spot. i actually have an canon ip4000 sitting in the corner for over 6 months without preping it for storage. the inktanks are in the printhead, and it's in the printer...probably dried up by now...okay..so far i removed the cartridge from the ip4000, they still had half ink in them. i then taped them up, and put them in ziplock bags with a paper towel sprayed with alittle water and alcohol...i was reading and am unclear. how am i suppose to store the printheads. do i submerge the whole thing in warm water with the chip on it? or do i remove the rubber grommets and spray windex/alcohol in the screens?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
havieri23 said:
i think i'm in a bad spot. i actually have an canon ip4000 sitting in the corner for over 6 months without preping it for storage. the inktanks are in the printhead, and it's in the printer...probably dried up by now...okay..so far i removed the cartridge from the ip4000, they still had half ink in them. i then taped them up, and put them in ziplock bags with a paper towel sprayed with alittle water and alcohol...i was reading and am unclear. how am i suppose to store the printheads. do i submerge the whole thing in warm water with the chip on it? or do i remove the rubber grommets and spray windex/alcohol in the screens?
Ron350's setup is to test the printhead for clog. Put distilled water in the tubes.
1. If all water run out of the nozzles, your printhead is ready for storage.
2. If water remains in one or more tubes, your need to unclog before storage.

After you have confirmed all nozzles are clear,
1. MAKE SURE that there is no trace of ink coming out of nozzles. Continue to put water in the tubes to flush out any residue ink left inside the nozzles. It must be clear water coming out of the nozzles.
2. Remove the tubings and reinstall the rubber seal.
3. Don't shake all the water out of the nozzles. Just dry the rest of the printhead assembly.
4. Put it in a sealed container/plastic bag for long term storage.

This is how Canon ships their printhead - ie with liquid in the nozzles and the printhead is in a sealed plastic envelop. Hope this help.

havieri23

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
what method should i use to clear the printhead? i just went to go buy some windex, ziplocks and alcohol