Avoiding automatic software updates

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
I noticed that there has been an 'Epson Printer Software Update' on my iMac for the Pro 3880 printer.This happened in an automatic way. I now have version 3.1 that was installed on July 28, 2015.

How can I make sure that no automatic updates are executed by Epson without asking me?
It is e.g. recommended by several members of Printerknowledge to not update firmware of the Pro 3880. But how can I avoid this to happen?
Harry

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro-100, E2000p, LexMark
I noticed that there has been an 'Epson Printer Software Update' on my iMac for the Pro 3880 printer.This happened in an automatic way. I now have version 3.1 that was installed on July 28, 2015.

How can I make sure that no automatic updates are executed by Epson without asking me?
It is e.g. recommended by several members of Printerknowledge to not update firmware of the Pro 3880. But how can I avoid this to happen?
Harry

Don't know your OS in any detail; but, you may be able to set, in your hosts file, "epson update URL"=localhost. This will block your computer from connecting with epson.
OTOH, if the problem is due to allowing Epson to connect with you, then a firewall setting will do the trick.
Obviously I don't know the exact solution to your problem. Other, more experienced, members will have to finish this thread.
Good luck.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
When you install an Epson driver under Windows, it may be similar on an iMac, or different, you are asked whether you want to let the driver phone home or not, that option is on by default, and typically you jump over it because you want to get the driver installed. But that option is available as well in the Utility section of the driver, software updates or 'Information about the printer and options' or similar depending on the driver version. Epson phones home to check for driver updates and firmware updates if those options are not disabled. I never within plenty of years found a printing problem which was related to a firmware/driver problem, it was always something else - except one problem loong time ago in the early days of the Pro7600.

MasterMacMaverick

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HL-3170CDW & WF3640
Harry, from other posts that you have made here, I understand that you are running 10.9.x at least. For Mac OS X, the drivers for (most) printers will come down from Apple directly. If you have Automatic Installation of updates turned on, these drivers will auto update. But this is the point I want to make: you might be confusing Drivers with Firmware updates.

If you don't already know, Drivers are used by your computer to talk to the printer to make it do what it needs to, where Firmware is code that the printer itself uses to operate on its own. You cannot update Firmware automatically, as far as I know.

I can understand if you don't want to update any firmware for the printer if it is known to give issues, but I am not understanding why updating the drivers would be an issue.

But to answer your question: go into System Preferences / App Store and uncheck the "Install app updates" line. This should prevent the auto update feature that you are not keen on. If you want to go one step further, not recommended, you can uncheck the "Automatically check for updates" line as well. But you will be missing out on automatic security updates that will come out as necessary.

Hope this helps! :cool:

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
Harry, from other posts that you have made here, I understand that you are running 10.9.x at least. For Mac OS X, the drivers for (most) printers will come down from Apple directly. If you have Automatic Installation of updates turned on, these drivers will auto update. But this is the point I want to make: you might be confusing Drivers with Firmware updates.

If you don't already know, Drivers are used by your computer to talk to the printer to make it do what it needs to, where Firmware is code that the printer itself uses to operate on its own. You cannot update Firmware automatically, as far as I know.

I can understand if you don't want to update any firmware for the printer if it is known to give issues, but I am not understanding why updating the drivers would be an issue.

But to answer your question: go into System Preferences / App Store and uncheck the "Install app updates" line. This should prevent the auto update feature that you are not keen on. If you want to go one step further, not recommended, you can uncheck the "Automatically check for updates" line as well. But you will be missing out on automatic security updates that will come out as necessary.

Hope this helps! :cool:

Thank you for this clear answer!
I followed your advise!
Harry

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I am using a 13" Macbook Pro and EVERY day Apple want to get me to update to Yoshamite.....I'd rather cut off my hands, it will have the same effect.....for about 6months now, every time I turn this damn boat anchor on it wants me to connect to the cloud.....For me, Apple can stick their cloud where it would cause them most discomfort. I started out a fan of Apple products and have been steadily patronised to the point where I am seriously considering ditching the thing altogether, I am truly sorry I ever had anything to do with the device.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Poor old 3dogs, and I taught an APPLE a day keep the doctor away, maybe my head is in the clouds, why don’t you stick Win 7 on to it and be dammed.. :hugs

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Windows does many updates too, and I let them do (as long as I am not on travel using expensive mobile data).

Back to the question: as far as I understood the printer manufacturer can control the way we use their (our ?) printer (as using 3th party inks) via the driver also.

Should we keep a history of driver/software downloads to able to revert just in case ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You can revert some of the new driver’s effects after an upgrade but not all of them, but as far as the firmware is concerned, if you install it then you’re stuck with it.

We do own our Canon printers but Canon own and run THEIR software the way they want too on it, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Just have a look and the Terms & Conditions when installing the new printer, it’s one of the reasons why they tell you to return YOUR printer to them, if you think you have a software issue, also RIP drivers don’t work on Canon printers..