Avid HP user

jamiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, great forum and I'm glad I discovered it.

Starting a new thread because I didn't see much discussion on HP printers and refilling those specific ink carts. I've run into the same old problems of clogged print heads and bad ink - so I'm asking for some advice.

My little HP 1315's ink carts are pretty easy to refill, you just peel back the sticker and inject the ink.

I have an HP 9300 at work, and want to buy another for home - the situation is the ink carts. They are different. You have to drill a hole into the cart, and then use a plug after injecting the ink. For the carts with plugs on the top, the refill kit instructions (from Jet Tec) says: don't plug the hole. Does that make sense?

I'll take any advice I can get.

Best refill inks for HP? (the local Staples here in NYC carry Jet Tec) Id rather buy bigger bottles if they are available.

Why I should or shouldn't use HPs (they don't seem to be all that popular on the forum)

Thanks a lot, and at the risk of asking questions that have already been answered maybe someone can just point the way with links, as I'm conducting my search and may mix a few discussions.

- Jamie

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Jamie, welcome to the forum. I don't have a direct answer to your questions, but just a quick comment on the popularity of Canon's on this forum. This forum was started by people who have and really like Canon printers. Their posts often included Canon printer info which made it show up higher on results in the search engines for Canon printers, which brought more Canon users, etc. etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, Canon makes GREAT printers, but there may be a tiny bit of bias.

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes i think nifty's right cause as i know the most used printer in this forum was Canon....but don't worry we accept all of kind...:).....isn't it right nifty....
I have HP.....it was 970Cxi, 3325, 3535, HP1315 like yours....and canon too an i450, i320, bjc2100. i like both of them. for me hp result more vivid and detail in photo, while canon they have the cheapest catridge... for daily b/w printing.
one thing that make me sick on hp is the catridge....it was small. for daily printing i fill 56, 57 and 58 three times a day.... that's why i back to canon for daily printing. but for the photo's quality do not underestimate this HP small catridge... they were amazing
with hp photo paper it was grainless and vivid, one small flaw is it intends to print something more to red. and i can handle it by calibration.

AndrewsFarm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I use a PSC 2110, which has the 56/57/58 family of carts. I've had it for almost a year and a half, and I have yet to use a cart other than the two that came with it. I tried refilling carts for the Deskjet 672C and 612C a few times, and while I had good luck with the black, the tricolor cart never worked for me.

From what I read in other threads in this forum, it's a wonder things have worked so well for me. I bought InkTec refill kits for the 56 and 57 carts soon after getting the printer. It didn't take long to use up that ink (especially the black), but in the meantime I found a FillJet bulk ink kit at a garage sale for $5. This had pigmented ink for black, but probably dye-based for color. I still have most of the color ink from that kit, but used up the black printing tax forms last winter. I then turned to a "Universal" black ink kit I originally bought for the 612C (another garage sale deal) That's been working ok, too, despite warnings on this forum not to mix the two types of ink. When that ink is gone I'm going to try some from an Ink Kube bulk ink kit I bought for the 672C(yet another garage sale $5 deal!). That ink is old and specifically formulated for the 600 series printers, but I figure what the Heck, it's worth a try. I've refilled the black cart 24 times already, so I don't think it owes me a dime. If it doesn't work, I still have the two remanufactured carts I bought with the InkTec kits.

jamiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
no doubt about it, the hp 56 and 57 carts are a snap to refill. I've refilled them enough to have saved about $400.

But its the bigger carts I'm concerned about. HP 45 and 78s for my new favorite printer, an HP 9300. I've tried to refill those with limited success so far.

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jamiek
the hp 45s are a bladder type of cart the easiest way to refill it is with a snap on bottom filler
from http://inksupply.com the 78 cart is a sponge type, the three indents on the top are actually
vent holes but must be pushed out to fit a syinge in but don't seal them as all sponge carts require
air venting,I don,t usually push the factory vents in I drill three new holes for filling and seal them
leaviing the factory vents intact but this is only so they don,t leak in transport,you will also need
a priming attachment from inksupply to suck out any air from the nozzle area.

AndrewsFarm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The 672C and 612C use the HP 29 and 15 black carts, respectively. I successfully refilled those from the bottom several times. It's important to refill before the ink runs completely out, or you can get air blocks and clogged nozzles. They can be cleaned, but it's a bother.

jamiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
what is a "priming attachment", and why would I need to buy one. Isn't "priming" something the printer does when it runs a cleaning cycle...?

Interesting idea to drill new holes and leave the vents alone. I like that.

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
the priming cycle on the printer does help but is not as strong as a priming pump
to draw ink from the sponge into the nozzles especially if the cart has been run dry
they are a clip on attachment that fits over nozzle and ink is drawn out with a syinge
they are very inexpensive but well worth it if you are refilling

jamiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I have to get ready, I see a lot of printing in my future!