Availability of EMPTY CANON CLi-8 Cartridges for refill

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Just setting up for refilling my new Canon Pro 9000, having retired my i9900 to inkjet heaven.
I have already received invaluable advice for Irv Weiner and Bob Pertruska. Sincere thanks guys - have a virtual drink on me!!!

However, still have a few more questions.

I have been advised to purchase the empty cartridges on ebay and use them for refilling. For the past week all I have located are empty C M Y and BK.

Does any body have a sources for the R G PM and PC. Especially the R and G as I could cycle original PM and PC through my printer and refill when empty.

However the R and G will take longer and I am reluctant to empty a full OEM cartridge to achieve this (I am the original cheapskate)
I have heard tell that the chips identify the cartridge colours and hence one must refill with same colour. Is this true?

Are there any differences in the quality of the various chip re setters? Prices seem to vary from $20 to $40. Naturally I am attracted by the cheapest, realise I should buy what works best.

Thanks for any info.

Roy Sletcher

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Roy visit Ross Hardie: http://store.inkjetcarts.us/refill-tools-c417all.aspx

He has chips (ARC, auto reset) and a chip resetter for our our P9000.

In addition, check this page http://store.inkjetcarts.us/pro-9000-c104.aspx giving you more choices for carts with manual reset or auto reset. The carts with manual resetting don't use a resetter but are reset by keystrokes on the printer.

I had purchased a set of refillable carts and ARC chips from another vendor, the YLW cart failed and I then swapped in the OEM YLW cart--I'm quite sure it worked. In fact, I think it did because when I refilled the YLW, I had to use the chip resetter and all was well. I mention this because even if its possible to mix ARC & Manual chips in the printer one does not want to accidentally 'reset' an ARC chip, it might fry!

2 options come up:
1) buy 2 sets of ARC chips, one for replacement on the OEM carts, the other for the 'new' carts and no chip resetter.
2) Buy a set of ARC chips for the 'new' carts and a resetter for the OEM chips.
In either case the ARC chips can be placed on any 'new' cart regardless of its original color or just on the carts needed to fill out the color set. With care, the chips can be easily swapped out as needed.

Your OEM carts with TLC will last a long time, your 'new' carts lifetime depends how they were treated originally. I suggest buying the resetter either way, if an ARC chip fails you can swap it with an OEM chip--if mix and match really works. Yes, I am now sure this works--after setting up my P9000 the first and verified function I wanted to test my refillable carts and ARC chips--but the vendor had thes R&G chips on back-order. So I used the OEM R&G carts, I think you are set! No need to empty any OEM carts--forget the virtual drink, I'll take a bottle of fine wine!!

Happy printing irv weiner

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Why not just refill your own OEM cartridges? They are free since you already have them. They will last forever. Those ARC chips are useless. They will reset themselves every time you power cycle the printer. The ink level status is never accurate, not even close. They are useless.