Atomiser effectiveness

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

A big Hello from India, Sure would like to know the effectiveness of an atomiser in cleaning clogged/dried
cartridges. Plan to buy one and would like advice before I sink money in it.

Rgds,

Jasii

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
As in like a perfume atomizer? I think it's easier to just use an eyedropper to put drops of cleaner on top of the print heads. I just drop some denatured alcohol on the heads and let it soak a few minutes and blot off the dissolved ink, it usually does the trick.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks qwertydude! This is the first reply I get on the forum and it sure feels SWELL!
Can isopropyl be substituted instead?
Seem to be getting a lot of really dried cartridges or rather caked cartridges, sure would like to know the most practical way of cleaning and refilling the same.

Rgds

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
The drop from a 2 pl printer is only about 15 microns in diameter (0.6 mils, or 1/5 the thickness of a human hair). I doubt that a low pressure atomizer could generate drops small enough to get into a nozzle. In addition, once a fluid gets inside the nozzle it will wet out due to surface tension and block the entrance - at this point drops of liquid will work better.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Isopropyl alcohol should work too if you can get the 90% stuff it should work better than the normal 70% rubbing alcohol.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Friends for your time.

Am I to understand that a atomiser is useless or I need to look for something specific?
Out here in India the printing scenario is largely dominated by the big guns(the printer mfrs).
REfilling or rather structured refilling is at its infancy. Easy availability of head cleaning solution is a problem.
Can the same be done at home using easily available ingredients?
I just procured a evacuation pump for removal of old ink , this device has a pressure gauge which is calibrated in HG. The absence of user manuals prompt me to ask more learned/experienced friends as to what is a safe pressure at which a cartridge can be evacuated without damage to the print head.

Rgds,

Jasii

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What printer do you have? That will help to know since different cartridges will be cleaned and filled differently.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hello!

Run a small computer repair shop, also help friends and customers with their refill needs.
Mostly refill HP 21/22/818 etc, am still waiting to know what does HG on the pressure gauge indicate and what is the safe pressure at which carts can be evacuated without damage.

Rgds,

Jasii

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
jasiiboss said:
I just procured a evacuation pump for removal of old ink , this device has a pressure gauge which is calibrated in HG.
Usually, Hg refers to the height of a column of mercury that can be supported by that pressure or vacuum. The conversion to various other units is given here.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Grandad35.
The basic q was what is the safe pressure at which carts can be evacuated without damage? I am reffering to cartridges with sponge like HP 21/22/818 etc.

Another Q pops up what would be the proper method stepwise to clean/evacute/flush cartridges that have been lying unused for a long time. I have this 22 no hp color cart that gives beautiful Mahgenta and Yellow but no Yellow. Have tried flushing it, blowing on to it from the top hole, evacuating it by a suction pump, but no luck.

Rgds,

Jasii