Artisan810. Black smudges at the end of each page?

MostlyCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an Epson Artisan 810 that I use to print covers to back up my DVD collection.

Lately it has been leaving black smudges at the end of the page.
But ONLY at the end of the page. It doesn't leave smudges anywhere else.

A Head cleaning does little to solve this issue, it seems to print maybe 1 clean one, then back to smudges.

smudges.jpg

Here's a sample. Again these smudges only appear at the END of the page... when it's almost done printing.

I tried cleaning the parts I could get to easily, but it seems this is coming from the printhead, and I can't reach it.

Help!

Thanks

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you could see how the paper travels you'll see that near the end of the page the paper leaves the rear rollers and is unsupported. It tends to curl upward because of the weight of the paper drooping down. Try supporting the paper at the same level as it exits the printer so it doesn't droop down even holding it slightly higher while it's printing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
MostlyCarbon
It would look to me as if you just might have a leak in your black cartridge or the purge system is not functioning properly.. :|

MostlyCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that the ink is smudged in a side to side direction and not down the length of the feed direction.

This seems to imply that the printhead? or some other side to side thing is leaving the ink rather than it getting wiped on as the paper falls out, I'd expect the smudges to smear towards the end of the page instead of side to side.

I do think you're onto something about the end of the page possibly curling upwards.

This problem has only started recently. This makes me think that it may be due to a buildup of ink? I'd like to be able to get the print head out in the open so I could try to wipe off the underside of it. I guess I'd have to avoid the print head itself, but wipe the areas around it? I just dunno.

Carb

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I know there's no actual ink replace button because fixed cartridge design but you could try unplugging the printer in the middle of a print job then you can try placing a moistened microfiber cloth under the print head and moving the print head over the clothwhich should be able to wipe off the ink.