Artisan 837 CISS recommendation

egore

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in installing a CISS for my new Artisan 837. I'll primarily be printing photos, but also general use (text, etc). I'd like to hear particular tried and true CISS systems and ink supplies that work well with them - all with the best match to OEM ink color match, colorfastness, anti-fading and overall satisfaction. I've read that there are CISS systems that require batteries now? Why is that? Would those apply to the 837? What's the benefit (if any) of these systems?

Thanks in advance!

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi egore

Epson Artisan 700-837 auto reset chips do not require a battery...

Only certain model printers require that setup, those models need to be powered, Epson wf 520, nx 420, nx 125... no advantage to these printers

Artisan 837 prints a great photo..

LJH

egore

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks LJH!

Anyone else have some input? Included cartridges are running low - I have to make a decision soon.

Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
egore said:
Thanks LJH!

Anyone else have some input? Included cartridges are running low - I have to make a decision soon.

Thanks!
I would suggest you go with LJH method of CISS if you are really serious about changing over your printer,
his customer services is second to none and he wont let you down.. :)

troy14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I bought the Artisan 837 refurbished from Epson and have this set up. I have no complaints everything works 100% and no problems with ink quality. (I am not affiliated with any of the companies, just a very happy consumer)

Empty CISS: http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/product.php?productid=290&cat=68&page=1

Ink : http://store.inkjetcarts.us/epson-claria-artisan-837-replacement-refill-inks-p5826.aspx
Note: You will need the 6 Color set (of course), the ink tank is 80ml so it will fill it up about 1.5 times. I purchased the 120ml set and I haven't used it all yet (I am a Nursing student, I print a LOT) but will need to buy more black ink shortly. $6 for a bottle is ridiculously cheap. The ink is great quality and identical to Epson in my experience.

Waste ink kit: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Solo-X-Waste-Kit.html
I purchased the small box version (I didn't like the bag), this is not a necessity but after seeing how much ink actually gets "wasted" I can't imagine all of that fitting on those sponge pads. It really makes me feel more secure.

inkproducts.com also makes a CIS with ink installed. I don't know how good it is but I liked them (based out of Florida) when I talked to them about the empty CISS, they were really concerned about the quality of ink I was putting in the system. I would bet it is of decent quality, but don't hold me to that.
Here is the link for that system: http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/product.php?productid=527&cat=74&page=1

just2print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400; Epson Artisan 837
1. On the subject of using refillable cartridges, I read a comment somewhere that the new printer should be first set up using the Epson OEM cartridges.
Does anyone know this to be fact? or why or why not?
Also,
2. A prospective cartridge seller warned that "all versions" of the Artisan 837 will not recognize non OEM chips. Can anyone offer info about this? as to how I could possibly know if it is one that will not recognize non OEM chips? The new printer is still sealed in the box and within the return period. I don't want it if it will not use
non OEM ink.
Thanks in advance.

just2print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400; Epson Artisan 837
1. On the subject of using refillable cartridges, I read a comment somewhere that the new printer should be first set up using the Epson OEM cartridges.
Does anyone know this to be fact? or why or why not?
Also,
2. A prospective cartridge seller warned that "all versions" of the Artisan 837 will not recognize non OEM chips. Can anyone offer info about this? as to how I could possibly know if it is one that will not recognize non OEM chips? The new printer is still sealed in the box and within the return period. I don't want it if it will not use
non OEM ink.
Thanks in advance.
Update 3/24/2014: That new Artisan 837 stayed unopened until a couple months ago. I installed and used the OEM carts that came with it. I had a set of refillable cartridges sitting unopened for probably a year. They work perfectly. In fact I first installed only yellow, and the printer recognized and would print, no problem. Yayyy!! However, I am careful to not update the driver from an Epson download because I read online that could possibly prevent the use of non-OEM cartridges.

ad man

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Artisan 800
I'm using a CIS for the ink
just checked on the suppliers page and while they list the Artisan series models up to the 835.. the 837 isn't listed.

I've been using mine on a 800 model and it's running perfect for years.
There's a "reset button" for cartridges and EPSONS internal counter (fakes replacement of cartridges)
I have to press that for 5 seconds every other month or so.

The only thing that I had to further modify was the ink counter "overflow" issue.
That required a $20 divert overflow divert mod and the counter reset software which requires a win system to operate.

If you can get a confirmation that the 837 will accept this CIS.... go and get it!
The refill ink is $15 for 600 ml.

http://www.hotzone360.com/

Michelle

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 810
I own the Artisan 810 and use the refillable cartridges and ink form precisioncolors and was happy with them. I even bought the chip resetter so I didn't have to keep cleaning the heads and running tests every time I refilled my cartridges but found I still had to do that to get a clean print. My printer is currently busted but I've had it for 5 years. I mostly used it to print colour white gloss labels.