Artisan 837 Blank Pages

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
I took the print head out to clean it. Put it back in, the she started printing blank pages. I'm pretty sure that I re-installed the print head properly. Any clues? Power On Self test works perfectly.

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
OK, so I removed power from this 837 that was putting out blank pages. I then again powered it up, and now it is totally dead. Removed the AC line cord, let the printer set for a bit, put AC line cord in place, and still dead. Any clues?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
What issue caused you to tanker with an Epson printhead? They are NOT easily removable, and not intended to be removed by a user (not that it's impossible for a good DIY'er). There are other cleaning methods that don't disturb the printhead.

If no power up, something serious is wrong. Suggest you retrace your steps...

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
This reply is in regards to my first Artisan 837, as I have 2 that don't work. The nozzle check function showed that 2 of the 6 weren't up to snuff like the others. I found an aftermarket cleaning kit and directions for use on YouTube. Removing the head and cleaning it was no big deal. Once I put the head back into place, upon power up, the printer had issues with all six of the cartridges. This happens all of the time, even with genuine Epson ink.

Now for my #2 837. I purchased it on eBay for $125. When I got it, the first thing I did was print a pictures. The picture was lacking yellow ink, and the nozzle check verified that. Sooo I cleaned the print head as I did the first Artisan 837. Upon power up, self test ran perfectly. But, the printer was shooting blank pages, if you get my drift. I later found out that when I replaced the print head it was seated properly. Sooo I messed with it and got it seated the way it's supposed to be. Now, she doesn't power up consistently. If I remove the AC, let her sit for a while, apply AC again, it boots up but, power on self test fails. And what's funny about this is, when it fails self test, I shut her down. Upon trying to power up again, nada, nothing dead!!! If I wait for a while as above, she will boot, but goes thru the same scenario of errors.

OK, technically speaking, I am a retired Electronics Engineer of 37 years. I've messed with all kinds of user electronics, repairing them. Sooo, I would say that I know what I am doing, and I'm trying my best to get one of these (2) 837s up and running.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone could shed some light on anything that I have written, much appreciated.

Patric "Butch" Amarando

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Given your description, it appears that removing/re-installing the print head is a probable cause of performance issues.

Recommended:
Whenever you start up a "new to you" printer, the first thing to print is a nozzle check pattern.

If OK, continue with head alignment and then print your desired output.

If not, troubleshoot before going further.

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
I have downloaded the service manual, thanks to one of our forum members. Thanks to you also for including the link. It's very explicit and detailed for all of the printers listed that it covers. However, disassembly is very difficult requiring special tools. I found it helpful to dis-assemble it to remove the doc feed, scanner, and top cover to expose the print head area that the top cover hides.
I'm getting very frustrated with these 837s, and am willing to part with one or 2 of them for parts, if the price is right and anyone is interested.
Meanwhile, I am enjoy an Epson Expression XP-820 that I bought new from Epson for $129 2 weeks ago. I stick with Epson because I like the many features that the design engineers incorporate into their products. One of the best features is the ability to print directly on printable CDs and DVDs. I don't know of any printer in this price range that does that. And, replacement ink is less expensive than other printers.
Cheers to all, and any further input would be appreciated.
Patric "Butch" Amarando

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The Canon PRO-100 prints directly to printable CD's. When on sale, it can be had for $50 (with rebate) delivered to your door, including a 50 sheet pack of 13" x 19" paper.

That said, Epson piezo printheads are more durable than Canon's thermal heads, which are designed to be a consumable part and easily replaceable.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If I was a betting man I'd wager the problem isn't actually going to be the printhead connections as you will have been watching that side of things like a hawk. I'd wager more likely you've made a mistake, created a short, blocked a cog wheel, etc... somewhere when re-attaching the scanner assembly or elsewhere.

Did you by any chance take pictures of the whole disassembly process so you can put it all back together again? If so, maybe try the whole thing again but going absolutely obsessive compulsive on every little thing to see if you can spot the issue?

Totally a wild assed guess but thought I'd put it out there regardless.