Artisan 800 (PX800FW) - New waste pad approach

clearchannel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I thought this topic addressed waste ink pads/containers? Would it not be more productive if we posted our questions about other topics in a new thread rather then hijack this thread?

Maybe you all should include the text of a response in the email notification so we don't waste time returning to read none contributing responses to a topic.

alternety

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It would probably make more sense to post somewhere else, but since the issue is open here -

I have seen an ebay vendor (no I can't find the link) that is advertising cartridges that have a reset button. It would seem to me that being able to reset at will rather than automatically would be a better approach. If you are using just refillable cartridges, not cis, an auto reset will not allow the printer to tell you when a cartridge is getting low. This could cause a dry head, which does not seem like a good thing. With a button, you can refill and reset when the printer alerts you. Since cis on an Artisan 800 seems to require cutting a hole in the cabinet (i.e., voiding warranty), it would seem manual reset would be better. From what I gather in this thread this will cause more ink to be wasted. Is that not better than destroying a head (am I correct that dry will break it)? Or getting it working again if it is still good.

Has anyone used such a cartridge set? Results and vendor please.

then there is ink. Anyone have a bulk source that really matches Claria. IS does not list one on there web site, yet I have seen sites advertising IS Claria.

I note there is an approach to cis that fools with the/a magnet to allow the machine to operate with the lid partially raised. That does not appeal to me very much.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
clearchannel said:
Maybe you all should include the text of a response in the email notification so we don't waste time returning to read none contributing responses to a topic.
There is a text of the response in the email notification. As to staying on topic... I've yet to see a forum manage to keep half of their threads on topic.. Nature of the beast that discussions branch out to loosely related topics.

Tip: You can unsubscribe from a thread by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the page. That way you aren't bothered by time wasting discussion.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
alternety said:
I have seen an ebay vendor (no I can't find the link) that is advertising cartridges that have a reset button. It would seem to me that being able to reset at will rather than automatically would be a better approach. If you are using just refillable cartridges, not cis, an auto reset will not allow the printer to tell you when a cartridge is getting low. This could cause a dry head, which does not seem like a good thing. With a button, you can refill and reset when the printer alerts you.
Yep... This is correct... I don't know what availability there is for such manual resettable cartridges/chips but if you could get those for refillable cartridges it would make more sense.

...Since cis on an Artisan 800 seems to require cutting a hole in the cabinet (i.e., voiding warranty), it would seem manual reset would be better. From what I gather in this thread this will cause more ink to be wasted. Is that not better than destroying a head (am I correct that dry will break it)? Or getting it working again if it is still good.
Dry won't necessarily break it as Epsons use the Piezoelectric process to jet the ink. The issue of foaming would be an issue though and frankly a dry printhead is a useless printhead so better avoided.

Has anyone used such a cartridge set? Results and vendor please.
Unfortunately not... It's still early days but someone will report back on a forum somewhere I'm sure.
This might be helpful though:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=25424#p25424
Note: The Artisan 700 seems to be the 800 with a bit more functionality but otherwise very similar in terms of the printhead itself

then there is ink. Anyone have a bulk source that really matches Claria. IS does not list one on there web site, yet I have seen sites advertising IS Claria.
LOL... No, it's doubtful you'll get full OEM Claria ink unless someone has been draining cartridges which would seem a bit odd. You can get close matches but anyone selling "Claria" ink that's in anything other than Epson OEM cartridges, is being a bit economical with the truth.

I note there is an approach to cis that fools with the/a magnet to allow the machine to operate with the lid partially raised. That does not appeal to me very much.
Well, it may seem a bit "odd" but from a modification point of view it reduces the amount of cutting, drilling, etc... to virtually nill so it's worth considering. Certainly it's easy to reverse if you need to send the printer off for a service because of a paper feed issue or similar.

alternety

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you websnail. Good info. I have read all the relevant posts on here and a bunch of other places I could find. I have found some well thought of pieces on here but they are all outside the US. But that is only a bit more shipping and a currency conversion fee. Not much in the scheme of things.

I don't expect to be doing all that much printing with this unit, so I am sort of leaning away from cis. And I would have to find room for the tanks in a space challenged area. Is there any disadvantage to cis in terms of life of inks. One tank would probably last me years.

Incidentally, about text from the response in the notice - I do not see any either. There are just links. I am using outlook express.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
alternety said:
Thank you websnail. Good info. I have read all the relevant posts on here and a bunch of other places I could find. I have found some well thought of pieces on here but they are all outside the US. But that is only a bit more shipping and a currency conversion fee. Not much in the scheme of things.
Yeah... Ink is slightly different as it's heavier but if it's good quality it's usually worth it... That said the USA has good quality suppliers anyway so you should be ok.

I don't expect to be doing all that much printing with this unit, so I am sort of leaning away from cis. And I would have to find room for the tanks in a space challenged area. Is there any disadvantage to cis in terms of life of inks. One tank would probably last me years.
On that basis you probably would be better looking at refillable carts' then. Ink shelf life is usually around 2 years with some wiggle room depending on your environment and storage conditions. That said, there's not nearly as much mess :)

Incidentally, about text from the response in the notice - I do not see any either. There are just links. I am using outlook express.
Ah... just checked... turns out I had the setting "Include post in subscription e-mails." ticked which you can find in:
Profile > Privacy (see near bottom).

Hope that helps.

Martin

alternety

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Fixed the text thing. Sort of non-intuitive being in privacy. It might be better to default to on.

soma71

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have installed a CIS for my Epson TX800FW and it has been fine. Yes the priming and cleaning uses a huge amount of ink. I have installed a waste ink kit which is essentially a thin tube attached to the waste ink tube inside the printer, I also drilled a small hole in the bottom of the waste ink pad container so that the tube would not get crimped or blocked. This has all worked fine until the other day when the error message came up about the waste ink pads having reached the end of their service life - not true as they are virtually all dry still because of the kit. I am now desperately trying to work out how to reset the printer to start printing again. Any suggestions? Software solutions seem to not exist yet for this machine and because there are only two buttons on the machine, on/off and CD tray eject, I can't find a button press combination yet to reset either.
Help. Anyone?

notmetoo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an EP-901A, the Japanese equivalent of the Artisan TX800/PX800. I also have the problem of the error screen regarding the waste ink pads and need to reset the protection counter.

It seems that 2manuals have the application available, for the hefty price of $69.99 with a catch, Quote, "This Epson Adjustment Program for Epson Artisan 800FW can be used on ONE PC only!". more on the subject here http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_57&products_id=1021

If most other printers have a manual counter reset then it is highly likely that the PX/TX800 & EP-901A also can be reset manually. I have discovered 4 screens available for the touch screen.

1. Screen Calibration - Press and hold left of the touch screen, then continuously hold the power on button.
2. Inspection Mode - Press and hold left of the touch screen & CD/DVD button, then continuously hold the power on button.
3. ROM IPL Update Mode - Press and hold right of the touch screen & CD/DVD button, then continuously hold the power on button.
4. Program Update Mode - Press and hold Left & Right & CD/DVD button, the continuously hold the power on button.

I hope this helps someone to discover the correct sequence for the Protection Counter Reset. If you do please post back here so others can also find a solution to the problem

I also want to ask, if anyone that tries the Epson Artisan 800FW Service Adjustment Program [AP_Arti800] available fro 2manuals, to please let me know here if it works. I have emailed 2manuals about compatability of the 3 models but have not yet recieved a reply.

EDIT: According to the service manual, the Service Utility is required to make any reset adjustments.