Artisan 1430 not recognizing all cartridges

KellyFettes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 1430
I have 2 epson artisan 1430's. I bought the 1st one for $100. It wasnt recognizing the cartridges when I bought it so after alot of trying, I just sat it on a shelf. Looking on ebay I found the other 1, for $145. It had a broken nozzle on the solvent manifold. I bought it cos the 1 on the 1st was fine. I could fix it!! When I plugged in the 2nd one (but not connected to computer with the software), it was recognizing all cartridges. I replaced the manifold. I was careful with the ribbons. Here is my dilemma...It won't recognize all the cartridges at once. I take out 1 cartridge and all are recognized, except the missing one. I put it back in and none are recognized. It is on ANY color cartridge I take out. I have changed out the chip board and just individual cartridge chips. I dont understand. Any ideas? And since last night, my 1st one wont power on. I am just using that one for parts anyways. But it woulda been nice to have the 1st one to help troubleshoot. Dualbunny had the exact same problem but his thread didn't end with a solution.

KellyFettes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 1430
So to keep this updated. I did a firmware update from 2012 to 2016. That didn't change anything. So it isn't a firmware issue. My first one that wouldn't power on, I got that one to turn on by taking off the back bottom piece and that must have released the jam that was causing the problem there. So the 1st printer would NEVER recognize ANY cartridges. I am able to see where the ribbons plug into with that back piece off and one of the ribbons wasn't plugged in all the way. So after pushing it back in, it is recognizing cartridges....just like the other 1. So now I have 2 Epson artisan 1430's that don't recognize all cartridges when they are in, but will recognize all that are installed when 1 is removed. So I am going to watch some vidoes on how to take off the shell so I can access the whole board that the ribbons plug into.